Smoked some baked potatoes, but get done

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shea1973

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
From Vandalia Illinois
On Febuary 15th I smoked some ribs and baked potatoes.  I was doing the 3-2-1 method on ribs and I put in the potatoes on the 2nd method of the ribs, were you wrap the ribs in foil and put them in for 2 hours.  Any way I had the Potatoes in for 3 hours.  You could taste a little smoke flavor.  But the potatoes were still very hard.  Before I put them in the smoker I poked several wholes in each of them with a fork. They were small ones, I think Russet, but not sure.  Then I put olive oil, with salt on them and put them in the smoker for about 3 hours.  My understanding is that it takes about 2-3 hours for potatoes.  So what did I do wrong with this?  

Thank You

I don't think they were in the smoker long enough. If memory serves me correctly the few times I did them in the smoker it took like 4 + hours. I normally just wash them good stab them all over with fork wrap in plastic zip lock and throw them in microwave.

I always rub with olive oil and sprinkle on salt and pepper. I put them in the smoker uncovered the whole time I am smoking the ribs. I always make spares at 225 for 3-2-.5. The potatoes always come out perfect in 5.5 hours. Last Sunday I put extra ones in and made some hash browns for breakfast the next day. 

They were fantastic. I did them almost like a hash. Diced the potatoes, onions, diced ham, pepper and seasoned salt. Not a strong smoke flavor, just perfect.

man and I am at work eating a rice crispy
th_anim_burp.gif

I have smoked potatoes many times and they always come out great. Soft and smokey. I rub them with olive oil and salt and pepper then put them in microwave for about 1 minute per potato. This preheats them and they cook much faster on the smoker, about 2 hours on the smoker and they are done, I just squeeze them and when they feel soft I pull them off. I do the same thing if I cook them in the oven, preheat in microwave and I can cook them in 15-20 mins in a 400* oven.

I have cooked at least 50 of them over time and I always do the olive oil salt and pepper - I just put them in for about 4-5 hours. If they are not done when the food is I just finish in the oven while the meat is resting  

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help and advice on the potatoes.  I will try both methods that are mentioned here and see which one works the best with me!  

Thank You

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky