Smoked Salt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cheech

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 19, 2005
Beautiful Grand Rapids Michigan
When I look at the smoked salt in the store it is almost black but when I do it the salt is lighter and not as strong smell to it.

I placed on a tray and move it around any thoughts on how to make it?

Mine comes out amber as well. I found that a shallow dish does a much better job than a deep one. My forst try I used a ceramic bowl, and since only the surface is exposed to smoke, I had to turn it all the time, and didn't get a strong enough taste. now I just put a little on a cheap stoneware plate, and it works better.

Cheech, I'm wondering if it's the origin of the salt. I'll be somokin' some kosher along with peppercorns and a few other goodies this weekend. I'll hopefully have some Q View.

use kosher or sea salt and place it in a stainless steel strainer/collander
mix it every once in a while,and there you have it.

molten

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky