Smoked Ribs - 2nd attempt at smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

paul lindsell

Original poster
So, after my first ever smoking attempt the other week at pulled pork(which went pretty well) I thought I would try some pork ribs (and a few chicken wings) this time round as they are a favourite of the guests we had for dinner.

I did a bit of research and decided to follow the 3-2-1 formular which seems pretty popular.

The gear:

ProQ Frontier

Aussie bricks

Chimney starter

Hickory chips

1. The rub ingredients

2. Smothering the ribs and wings the night before the big smoke...

3. Setting up the smoker using the minion method again

4. After getting the smoker up to a steady 250f I added some Hickory chips and the ribs, and left for 3hrs, topping up the chips every hour. After 2hrs I put the chicken wings on the shelf below.

5. Sorry no picture for this step as i was rushing to keep the ribs as hot as possible. But wrapped each rib in tin foil, added a splash of apple juice and put them back in the smoker for a further 2hrs. 

My smoker holds its temp very well, so we went out for a walk...

6. Came back to amazing smelling ribs which I took out of the foil, brushed generously with home made BBQ left over from the previous weeks pulled pork. Placed the ribs back on the smoker for the final 1hr.

7. The end result

We ate the chicken wings so fast, I only remembered to take a picture afterwards...

8. Fall off the bone ribs - oh yes!

They were amazing but could have done with more sauce!

--

Lessons learnt this time:

1. You can never have too much BBQ sauce, always make more than you think you might need as it lasts for a while.

2. Next time, I think I will aim to get the smoker hotter, maybe a steady 285-300f as I think the extra temp would have done both the wings and ribs better.

3. Ribs like hickory, next time add even more!

4. Make more next time even if it does put me into a food coma!

Nice Thread!  Great q-views!  You rocked it!

Kat
drool.gif

Nice, and they cleaned-up good too. The wings, I need to test, send some over...
roflmao.gif

Oh, by the by ... please stop in at your Profile and update the the location you are living. Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky