Smoked, Pulled & Put Away: Thank You, Very Much!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wntrlnd

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
out on the western plain
Folks, I just finished pulling the 5 pound butt I smoked today.  This was my first pulled pork.  Before I foil, towelled and coolered it, I took it up to 202 degrees internal temperature, a ten and a half hour ride. 
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Even though I foiled it, I got some terrific, crispy, chewy bark.  Nice smoke penetration.  The juicy smoky meat shredded easily as I pulled it by hand.  Surprisingly, there wasn't all that much fat and unrendered connective tissue to remove.  

I grabbed a hunk and dipped it into the soflaqers finishing sauce I mixed up.   AW YEAH!   

Without a doubt, and without exaggeration,this is probably one of the most delicious things I have ever cooked in my life.  It's a crying shame I didn't get to do a Q view, but this was so much fun and so rewarding, I'm sure I'll be doing another one PDQ. 

In the meantime:

My deepest thanks to everyone at SMF.   

Along with Jeff's instructions, I relied on Meowey's incredibly helpful sticky as well as the 13 pages of comments.   

And another big shout out to Dick Foster for telling me about the Maverick ET-73.

Couldn't have pulled this off today without the ET-73, and the excellent coaching I've gotten from this community.

Thank you one and all!

Michael

Last edited:
Reactions: mballi3011
Glad to hear that it turned out great.

There's just something magical about that first bite of one's first pulled pork smoke.  Congrats on the first of what I'm sure will be many more to come!

icon_cool.gif

Well congrats there Michael for your first butt. I'm/we are really glad and happy for you and now you get to enjoy one of the great pleasure that we here at SMF look forward to everytime that we light our smokers.

icon_cool.gif

Well congrats there Michael for your first butt. I'm/we are really glad and happy for you and now you get to enjoy one of the great pleasure that we here at SMF look forward to everytime that we light our smokers.

Thanks, Mark!    It IS a great pleasure to look forward to!  Thanks for your help, my friend! 

Not to get too carried away, but, for me, attaining the ability to successfully smoke is really huge. 

In the recent past I've gone for YEARS without Q because there was no Q around where I live.  Now I make my own!  

And it's not just so-so.  Even my lowly, rookie attempts are better than any commercial Q I know of within 100 miles of my house.

And things are only getting better from here on out!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky