Smoked pulled pork...first time. Question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Greyguy

Original poster
May 16, 2018
I bought a Green Mountain Daniel Boone smoker last fall right after taking a 5 hour introductory barbecue course and enjoying it immensely. I have done ribs three times and made a batch of barbecue sauce twice. All went well.
I recently decided to try pulled pork but on a small scale the first time. I’m guessing the weight of the pork shoulder as about 3 lbs. I followed the instructions received at the barbecue class (preparation of the pork, setting the smoker to 190 degrees and then after the pork got to 160 degrees, wrap it in foil with some apple juice and turn up the smoker to 220 degrees to raise the temp of the pork to 190 degrees. (Done)

I started the cooking at 8:00 am and at about 6 hours later the pork went into a stall at about 135 degrees. It didn’t get to 160 degrees until 8 pm (12 hours from start). I wrapped it but decided to finish it in the oven (didn’t have the confidence to keep the smoker going until the following morning) at 220 degrees for 4 hours.
When I got up and took it out of the oven at about 6 pm the pork was still slightly warm. When I tried to pull the meet away from the bone it had a little more resistance than I expected and the meat didn’t shred but came off more in chunks.
Did this cook time seem extreme for a small pork shoulder or do I need to be more patient?

It is extreme because thats a really low temp to be cooking at. Most will cook a pork butt anywhere between 220 and 280. A small butt like that should not have taken any where near 12 hours to fully cook. You can wrap at the stall if desired, your bark will be more moist then if you let it go through the stall without wrapping. Did you check the internal temp after the oven time? Most butts are going to be done around the 205 mark, at this point the bone should slide right out.

Here is how I do my pork butts. Get the smoker going, sometimes I run at 240-250 but recently have been doing them at 270-280. If I hit the stall at 160 I will wrap, but cooking at the higher 270-280 I havent hit a stall so I continue to just cook. With an internal probe in the meat, I take mine all the way to 208, most take it to 205, I take it off and let it rest for 30 min to an hour. I then pull the bone out, should slide out really easy, and then shred it.

I always try to get my Pork from 40° to 140° (Danger Zone) in no longer than 4 hours, unless I cured it with Nitrites first.

Bear

What I usually do, because I'm a moron, is click on any featured post and and find Al's comment and click on whatever info I need down in his signature. I'm sure there is a better way but as I said I'm not to bright.

Reactions: GATOR240
What I usually do, because I'm a moron, is click on any featured post and and find Al's comment and click on whatever info I need down in his signature. I'm sure there is a better way but as I said I'm not to bright.

Hey, we could be brothers!!!! I was just trying to figure out how to help Greyguy.

Where did you take this class? Did you pay for it?

No offense to anyone but cooking at 190 until you reach the stall is something I’ve never heard of in my life. In my 15 years of bbq I’ve never heard of anything like this.... I’m honestly confused. Ive heard of hot & fast, and the traditional low and slow but 190? That’s an extreme on the low and slow.

I’m not sure that anyones specific way of doing a pork butt is something you should even look into before you do a regular size butt at a reasonably normal bbq temp.

If I was you I’d smoke your next butt at 225-250. If you want to use the Texas crutch (wrap at the stall) fine but I’d just do it normal and let it smoke untouched until it reaches the 202-205 temp mark.

Your meat was hard to pull because it wasnt done. Take your next butt to 202-205 no matter what way you decide to cook it.

Look into the 4-40-140 rule as well for safeties sake. It’s good info to know. Especially if injecting.

Again I mean no disrespect to anyone who might use this 190 degree method I’ve just never heard of anyone doing it this way.

Good luck with your future pork butts. Don’t over think it. It’s the easiest piece of meat to smoke.

Scott

Scott,
Lol. My wife and I paid about $120.00 and it covered smoking, grilling, ribs, pulled pork, brisket, chicken, cole slaw, vegetables, apples, etc.. we got a dvd with all the recipes and instructions. It actually recommended to do the pulled pork at 180 or 190 degrees and they warned not to panic during a stall and turn the smoker up to 240 degrees which will ruin the pork. (Contrary to what I’m reading here).
Forgive my ignorance but is pork butt the same as the pork shoulder that I cooked?

No offense to anyone but cooking at 190 until you reach the stall is something I’ve never heard of in my life. In my 15 years of bbq I’ve never heard of anything like this.... I’m honestly confused. Ive heard of hot & fast, and the traditional low and slow but 190? That’s an extreme on the low and slow.

I’m not sure that anyones specific way of doing a pork butt is something you should even look into before you do a regular size butt at a reasonably normal bbq temp.

If I was you I’d smoke your next butt at 225-250. If you want to use the Texas crutch (wrap at the stall) fine but I’d just do it normal and let it smoke untouched until it reaches the 202-205 temp mark.

Your meat was hard to pull because it wasnt done. Take your next butt to 202-205 no matter what way you decide to cook it.

Look into the 4-40-140 rule as well for safeties sake. It’s good info to know. Especially if injecting.
I’m c

Again I mean no disrespect to anyone who might use this 190 degree method I’ve just never heard of anyone doing it this way.

Good luck with your future pork butts. Don’t over think it. It’s the easiest piece of meat to smoke.

Scott

Scott

Scott
Thanks

Scott

Scott

Lol. My wife and I paid about $120.00 for the introductory grilling/smoking class that involved cooking ribs, pulled pork, brisket, vegetables, etc. They gave us a CD with recipes and instructions. The recommended temp for pulled pork in the smoker was 180-190 degrees. In fact they warned not to panic when the pork stalled at 130-140 degrees and to turn the temp on the smoker up substantially because it would ruin the cooking of the meat. (Opposite of what I’m hearing on this forum).
Also; what is the 4-40-140 rule, if you would be so kind.

Lol. My wife and I paid about $120.00 for the introductory grilling/smoking class that involved cooking ribs, pulled pork, brisket, vegetables, etc. They gave us a CD with recipes and instructions. The recommended temp for pulled pork in the smoker was 180-190 degrees. In fact they warned not to panic when the pork stalled at 130-140 degrees and to turn the temp on the smoker up substantially because it would ruin the cooking of the meat. (Opposite of what I’m hearing on this forum).
Also; what is the 4-40-140 rule, if you would be so kind.

"I remember hearing, some time ago, the food safety guideline of 4-40-140. It
was a "picnic food" kind of thing. Foods should be kept out of the sun and
not be out for more than four hours unless they are kept at or below 40
degrees or at/above 140 degrees F.

4-40-140, its easy to remember."

Stolen from the Internet...

When you are smoking something that has been boned out, injected, tied, etc. It needs to get from 40 degrees to 140 degrees in 4 hours or less.
I suggest you take the free 5 day e-course on here. It will give you a lot of the info you are looking for.
https://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-basics-ecourse
I also moved this to the pork section.
Al

I’m reallt surprised to hear people smoke at 190 degrees. Especially a large piece of meat like a pork butt. Not saying it’s wrong just surprised by it. I’d take your same course of action on your next smoke just adjust the temp to 225 degrees. See how you like that.

Good luck
Scott

I’m reallt surprised to hear people smoke at 190 degrees. Especially a large piece of meat like a pork butt. Not saying it’s wrong just surprised by it. I’d take your same course of action on your next smoke just adjust the temp to 225 degrees. See how you like that.

Good luck
Scott

LOL---I imagine it's difficult to get Pork to Pulling Temp (around 203° IT) when using a Smoker Temp of 190°.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky