Smoked Pot Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

twinfallsid

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Twin Falls Idaho USA
Get a large chuck roast and rub it all over with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic salt and black pepper.

Pre-heat your oven to 450F, let it get up to temp, then turn it down to 350F.

Put the roast on a rack in a pan and put it in the oven for 30-40 minutes. The olive oil will air-fry and sear all the meat surface to seal in the juices.

While the roast is in the oven, prepare your smoker and get it up to 180F.

Remove the roast from the oven and put it in the smoker with your favorite wood chips. Smoke for 8 to 10 hours, depending on the size of the roast.

This is an awesome slow-cooking method for this very flavorful and beefy cut. It comes out very tender and with a flavor you can't get any other way.

Cut into slices and serve, this is not a "pulled" roast method. IMHO, pulled is for pork only.

Shame on you. Pulled chuckie is one of my favorites.
tongue.gif

Interesting cooking method. Is there a desired internal temp you're shooting for with this? And at what temp are you smoking?

It starts in the oven to air-fry and sear the surface of the meat. I guess you could get the same effect by dropping it in your commercial fry-o-lator at 360f for 5 minutes....but wait, almost nobody has a huge deep fryer at home.

It is smoked at 180f. 225f is too hot.

When done, the internal meat temp would be about 160 to 165. So with the smoker at only 180f, it will take a while, around 8-10 hours.

Technically, what you are doing is converting the collagen into gelatin via low heat.

but if you sear the surface, don't you reduce the effectiveness of it adsorbing smoke? Not being argumentitive just trying to understand this as when I did it all at 225 for 8 to 10 hours it was the juciest roast i ever had, actualy had to use a drip tray to stop the juces from running all over the counter.. are you just trying to go for a crispy crust?

Steve

No, its not a crispy surface. It absorbs the smoke flavor just fine.

Another thing the oven does is sterilize the surface of the meat so at 180f in the smoker, you don't have to worry about the food "safety zone" temp.

My mother made this roast when I was a kid. Of course she didn't use a smoker, she just turned the oven down to 180f after 30-40 minutes. She would start this in the morning and serve it for dinner. The house sure smelled good whenever she made it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky