Smoked pork shoulder

Discussion in 'Pork' started by legerdemain, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Hey all!

Below are pictures of the pork shoulder I smoked yesterday. It's the first smoke I've done since modifying my ECB, and I couldn't be happier with the results. Thank you all so much for your help and advice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a 4.75 lb shoulder that I smoked for 7-1/2 hours using applewood chips. The rub and mop sauce were from Backroads and Sidestreets by "Famous Dave" Anderson, and for the sauce I used the mustardy sauce from the cookbook The Complete Meat Cookbook by Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly. Excellent eating, my best job yet!

2. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Way to go legerdemain. That pulled pork look good!

3. bwsmith_2000

bwsmith_2000 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

legerdemain,
    Looking good! Now with a white hamburger bun, some cole slaw, a few fries and an ice cold coke. Hmmmm.

4. bob-bqn

bob-bqn Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Very nice indeed. :D

I smoked a couple of shoulders this weekend too. One took 14 hours to get to 185* and was very tender, the other cooked for 21 hours and was 195* before it got tender.

5. Bob - what size shoulders?

bwsmith - Kaiser rolls work excellent as well. :D

6. bwsmith_2000

bwsmith_2000 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Bob-BQN,
    The difference in time to complete is interesting. I have experienced similar differences in the cooking times and not really understood why. I know now that there are lots of variables and appreciate your mentioning the differences. You support my understanding of the basic pork butt. It just all depends on several things.

7. cheech

cheech Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Wow that looks great

8. bob-bqn

bob-bqn Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

legerdemain they were 8.5 and 9.5 pounds repectively.