Smoked Pork Chile Rellenos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cowgirl

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 2, 2007
Oklahoma
I know I've made these before. :) They are one of my favorites.

I used some of the pulled pork from my stash..

roasted some anaheims...

let them steam for easy peeling..

mixed my pulled pork with minced onions and queso fresco cheese..

stuffed my peeled, seeded anaheims... then dusted them with flour.

made my batter..
4 egg whites whipped
add 4 TBs of flour,
then fold in the 4 beaten egg yolks

An easy way to coat them..
I dip the bottom of the chile into the batter then spoon a bit on top. It's easier than dipping the whole chile.

Drain on paper towels

Serve with sauce...

saute minced onion and 1 clove of garlic in a bit of oil
add 2 cups of chicken broth

1 cup tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
simmer 10 minutes.

I like these with smoked chicken too. :)

Thanks for looking.

/ message sig

Awesome as always!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I found a way to cheat when I am making rellenos for a lot of people at one time. I put half of my batter in the bottom of a 9x13 greased glass pan, lay the chilis in with some space between them, cover with the rest of the batter, and bake at 350°, till it is nice and golden brown. Works great, is slightly healthier than frying, and you can cook them all at once.

i'm as passionate about peppers as i am about smoking, and i just gotta say, those rellenos rock my world!

KA-BOOM! 

nicely done!
Thank you so  much wntrind! :)

Awesome as always!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I found a way to cheat when I am making rellenos for a lot of people at one time. I put half of my batter in the bottom of a 9x13 greased glass pan, lay the chilis in with some space between them, cover with the rest of the batter, and bake at 350°, till it is nice and golden brown. Works great, is slightly healthier than frying, and you can cook them all at once.
Thank you Johnny, I appreciate the tip on making them for a crowd. That will come in handy!!

That's some good eatin'!
Thank you ttosmoker!! They were kinda tasty. :)

when the wife and I go out to eat at a local Mexican joint, I always get some kind of combo platter but it has to be a platter that comes with those stuffed and battered peppers!!! Love em!!!

Your's look wonderful, I can only imagine how great they are with pulled pork!  Ya know you could do something like that with a big fat bell and add some japs on the inside with the pork and maybe some cheese...OMG  !!!  A bell pepper fattie...thud...

one of my favorite dishes and you done good.........looks great jeanie!

That's about the prettiest rellenos I've ever seen.  Not surprising coming from your kitchen, Jeanie.  Looks great!

Jeanie, excellent post on making chile rellenos. I like the way you avoided using toothpicks to keep them together while frying them. Your sauce sounds tasty, but not overwhelming. Thank you for being so generous with your great recipe, and sharing the great pic tutorial. Your plating and presentation skills are excellent.

Have a great holiday weekend my friend.

Rich.

holy cow! those look delicious. My wife and I just recieved about 45# of chiles from NM and I've been roasting non stop for the past three days! I've been coming up with all sorts of ideas of what to do with them and this is another idea that just got bumped to the top! especially since I'm smoking a butt tomorrow!

Thank you Lugnutz, Rob, Bear, Keith, Rich, Paul, Brennan, Meat and AK!  These are really good with smoked chicken too.. like a fattie, the fillings are endless. Thanks!!
biggrin.gif

I'm gonna try a batch tonight! I have some left over ribs from a few days ago.
That's great!  I hope they turn out well for you. :)  The batter has no salt so the sauce is a must.... (in my opinion).  

Another tip... after spooning batter over the frying rellenos.... you can spoon a bit of hot oil on top to "set" the batter. It makes turning them over even easier.

Good luck with them! :)

OMG Cowgirl!!!!!!
points.gif

I have been tryin to make them for two weeks now with pablano's. While they taste ok, their less than eye appealing. Thought this weekend about trying anahiems. You just confirmed it!! And the frying tips!!!  awesome!!!

WILL YOU MARRY ME

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky