• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoked Pork Chile Rellenos

cowgirl

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 2, 2007
I know I've made these before. :) They are one of my favorites.

I used some of the pulled pork from my stash..

roasted some anaheims...

let them steam for easy peeling..

mixed my pulled pork with minced onions and queso fresco cheese..

stuffed my peeled, seeded anaheims... then dusted them with flour.

made my batter..
4 egg whites whipped
add 4 TBs of flour,
then fold in the 4 beaten egg yolks

An easy way to coat them..
I dip the bottom of the chile into the batter then spoon a bit on top. It's easier than dipping the whole chile.

Drain on paper towels

Serve with sauce...

saute minced onion and 1 clove of garlic in a bit of oil
add 2 cups of chicken broth

1 cup tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
simmer 10 minutes.

I like these with smoked chicken too. :)

Thanks for looking.

/ message sig

wntrlnd

Meat Mopper
Joined Oct 18, 2009
i'm as passionate about peppers as i am about smoking, and i just gotta say, those rellenos rock my world!

KA-BOOM! 

nicely done!

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Awesome as always!

I found a way to cheat when I am making rellenos for a lot of people at one time. I put half of my batter in the bottom of a 9x13 greased glass pan, lay the chilis in with some space between them, cover with the rest of the batter, and bake at 350°, till it is nice and golden brown. Works great, is slightly healthier than frying, and you can cook them all at once.

cowgirl

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 2, 2007
i'm as passionate about peppers as i am about smoking, and i just gotta say, those rellenos rock my world!

KA-BOOM! 

nicely done!
Thank you so  much wntrind! :)

Awesome as always!

I found a way to cheat when I am making rellenos for a lot of people at one time. I put half of my batter in the bottom of a 9x13 greased glass pan, lay the chilis in with some space between them, cover with the rest of the batter, and bake at 350°, till it is nice and golden brown. Works great, is slightly healthier than frying, and you can cook them all at once.
Thank you Johnny, I appreciate the tip on making them for a crowd. That will come in handy!!

That's some good eatin'!
Thank you ttosmoker!! They were kinda tasty. :)

lugnutz

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 17, 2010
when the wife and I go out to eat at a local Mexican joint, I always get some kind of combo platter but it has to be a platter that comes with those stuffed and battered peppers!!! Love em!!!

Your's look wonderful, I can only imagine how great they are with pulled pork!  Ya know you could do something like that with a big fat bell and add some japs on the inside with the pork and maybe some cheese...OMG  !!!  A bell pepper fattie...thud...

chefrob

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 13, 2009
one of my favorite dishes and you done good.........looks great jeanie!

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Wow Jeanie,

There's no end to the great stuff you put on the table!

Bear

bassman

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 15, 2007
That's about the prettiest rellenos I've ever seen.  Not surprising coming from your kitchen, Jeanie.  Looks great!

richoso1

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 21, 2007
Jeanie, excellent post on making chile rellenos. I like the way you avoided using toothpicks to keep them together while frying them. Your sauce sounds tasty, but not overwhelming. Thank you for being so generous with your great recipe, and sharing the great pic tutorial. Your plating and presentation skills are excellent.

Have a great holiday weekend my friend.

Rich.

brennan

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 2, 2007
holy cow! those look delicious. My wife and I just recieved about 45# of chiles from NM and I've been roasting non stop for the past three days! I've been coming up with all sorts of ideas of what to do with them and this is another idea that just got bumped to the top! especially since I'm smoking a butt tomorrow!

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2009
Wow those look great, I love chile rellenos. Another for the to do list.

ak1

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 23, 2010
Jeanie, why is it that every time you post, I gain 5 lbs

As always, that looks absolutely delicious.

cowgirl

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 2, 2007
Thank you Lugnutz, Rob, Bear, Keith, Rich, Paul, Brennan, Meat and AK!  These are really good with smoked chicken too.. like a fattie, the fillings are endless. Thanks!!

ak1

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 23, 2010
I'm gonna try a batch tonight! I have some left over ribs from a few days ago.

cowgirl

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 2, 2007
I'm gonna try a batch tonight! I have some left over ribs from a few days ago.
That's great!  I hope they turn out well for you. :)  The batter has no salt so the sauce is a must.... (in my opinion).  

Another tip... after spooning batter over the frying rellenos.... you can spoon a bit of hot oil on top to "set" the batter. It makes turning them over even easier.

Good luck with them! :)

smoke_chef

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 22, 2008
Those look better than any I have EVER had at ANY Mexican place. WOW!!  You rock!!!

realtorterry

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
OMG Cowgirl!!!!!!

I have been tryin to make them for two weeks now with pablano's. While they taste ok, their less than eye appealing. Thought this weekend about trying anahiems. You just confirmed it!! And the frying tips!!!  awesome!!!

WILL YOU MARRY ME

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks