smoked pork carne guisada

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
O.K., i'll bite..............but you have to put it in printable form!!
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif
Just kidding
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Hey Gyspy ole buddy ole pal ...

that looks good can you post it for us? Are those tortias or bread or what on the side?

that was a crispy flour tortilla. and yes i'll post the recipe here.
smoke & slice a good shoulder (then cube it)
add 4-6 cloves smoked garlic
add 1 cup water per 1.5 lbs of meat & simmer about 2 hrs to make an au jus.
bring to a boil & add the fiesta carne guisada spice as directed (like i ever follow directs) about a 1/4 cup to 2 cups cold water & stir in.
turn off heat when it thickens.
serve (or i serve the next day).
it also goes great in a tortilla w/ scrambled eggs & shreddeed cheddar.

it's in a bottle ( i can tell ya how to do homemade) but their's is great. http://www.fiestaspices.com ships from san antonio- while yer @ it get the fajita spice & uncle chris' steak spice- blend those 2 w/ yer garlic paste & worchy,balsamic, & beer for awesome ribeyes... i guarantee- you will use the fajita spice on any meat ya will ever cook again- from a 4 oz bottle to a 5lb can.

Gee I'll check it out. I'm kind of partcial to doing it from scratch but I did try one or two premixed spice packs that weren't to bad. I kind of grew up thinking anything from a package had to be bad, but I guess they've come a long way since then - even cakes are edible from a box today! Go figure?

they been around a long time & everyone here from texas will vouch for the brand- but if ya want from scratch- i can do that.
4-6 cloves squished smoked garlic
1/4 diced yellow onion ( per 4lbs of meat)
4 -6 tbsp comino(cumin fer the yankees)
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp sage
1 tsp black pepper
1 leaf cilantro
maybe 1/4 can rotels
1 dash or pour of beer(n texas budlight or miller light)
i never cook w/ salt so add as ya like to yer plate.
5 tbsp corn starxh to 1 -2 cups COLD(has to be cold ) water or it gets chalky & bitter.
same as the fiesta recipe.- stir into boiling until thickened & remove from heat- cover chill & serve the next day.

Thanks Gypsy I's gong to try this soon as I find rotels I have everything else. I think I asked this before but I forgot (CRS ya know) what are rotels again?

paging chris harper ( or any other texans) fiesta spices ??? is it a yah or ney ??? i am a dist for this co (well i will be shortly) - this ain't like weber or etc- this co. has great products & family owned & controlled fron san antonio, texas- i (and many other texans) highly recommend them. i'll give ya a best of your life secret marinae w/ their stuff & my mods.

It's a BIG YAH for me. I use it on everything I smoke. It's caked on the brisket thats on my smoker right now.
icon_smile.gif
Hopefully it will be done before lunch tomorrow.
Oh, thanks for the recipe. I copied it too.

OK..I got the wild hair and made something similar to this just now.. I kind of used what I had.

I had some smoked pulled pork in the freezer. Added water, garlic, onion, thyme, sage, pepper, salt, cumin, green chilies, 2 jalapeno's, 1 large fresh tomato..

It's simmering..We'll see how it turns out.. Can't be too bad...

Edited because I just tasted it and even though it's only been on maybe 1/2 hour, it's awesome. Can't wait for the finished product..

Should I take pics?

OK.. The stuff I made probably isn't what your's tasts like, but pretty darn close. This stuff ROCKS! It's a bit too loose for me right now to add to burritos or taco's so I'm going to let it continue to simmer. I used a flour slurry rather than corn starch to thicken it up. I find that corn starch breaks down and doesn't stay thick unless you're eating it right away.

Thanks gypseyseagod for the idea... I now have dinner (You know, you yankees call dinner lunch).. Maybe even supper (You know, dinner for you yankees).. Oh wait, wife has ribeye steaks for supper... Nevermind

Redneck -

The first time I heard anyone call dinner lunch was in the Navy. We always had breakfast dinner and supper in my house!

Gypsy -

Have to ever tried putting this stuff in a potpie? Looks like it's be a nice and spicy meat and gravy base.

Oh just a thought. I've kind of gotten away from using flour and corn starch as a thickener for meat gravys. I was cooking at my sisters one night (she's NOT a DIY cook) and she didn't have flour or corn strach so I threw in instant powdered potatoes and it was really good. So now I buy Instant potatoes for gravys and it adds a nice taste too.

Since I used pulled pork, it's more stringy meat rather than staying in chunks.

Idea: Tamale pot pie.. Make a dough similar to tamale dough using masa harina, manteca, salt and water.. Flatten it out like a tortilla and put it in a shell with the same thing on top...hmmmm I like it..
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Well, since I AM a yankee, the first time I ever heard lunch called dinner was at church from a Southern Baptist preacher. I thought he was just being weird. He also said his wife was "puney" when she was feeling ill.. You backwoods folks sure talk weird..
tongue.gif

i use fiesta brand spices all the time. most of my spices in my rack are fiesta brand. i try to buy everything in that brand. some things they don't have though, at least in my local stores. then i will buy another brand.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky