Smoked Pork Boston Butt (Pulled Pork) via Hot n Fast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikenilson

Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
Special Thanks to SmokinAl for his inspiration!

After searching for direction for Smoking a Pork Shoulder and not finding exactly what I needed I decided to post this step by step guide. I could not find a previous post that answered all my questions. So here we go...

Hot & Fast Method
Smoked Pork Boston Butt 9 lbs. 5 oz.
Sprayed with olive oil, applied my own special Dry Rub Recipe, wrapped in plastic wrap for at least 12 hours. When unwrapping I applied some more Dry Rub.
Masterbuilt 30 inch Electric Smoker (MES)
275 degrees Smoker Temp (upper 80’s outside temperature)
Apple Juice/Water in water pan. (1/3 of a 64 oz. bottle + 12 oz. water)
Foil Pan on the rack below Butt.
Butt fat cap up.
Smoked (Hickory/Apple mix) every hour for first 6 hours
4 hours IT 153 degrees
6 hours IT 176 degrees (added 1/3 of a 64 oz. bottle Apple Juice to water pan)
7 hours IT 180 degrees
8 hours IT 187 degrees (added last of 64 oz. bottle Apple Juice to water pan)
9 hours IT 194 degrees
10 hours 201 degrees
Pulled it at IT 203 degrees after 10 hours 10 min.
Let rest 2 hour wrapped in 4 layers of heavy duty aluminum foil, wrapped in 2 towels and put in a dry cooler.
It turned out awesome! Very moist, nice bark and tasted great!
20180805_135040.jpg
20180805_173442.jpg

That is some fantastic looking PP!
I love the color of the bark on the butt!
Great work & congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Special Thanks to SmokinAl for his inspiration!

After searching for direction for Smoking a Pork Shoulder and not finding exactly what I needed I decided to post this step by step guide. I could not find a previous post that answered all my questions. So here we go...

Hot & Fast Method
Smoked Pork Boston Butt 9 lbs. 5 oz.
Sprayed with olive oil, applied my own special Dry Rub Recipe, wrapped in plastic wrap for at least 12 hours. When unwrapping I applied some more Dry Rub.
Masterbuilt 30 inch Electric Smoker (MES)
275 degrees Smoker Temp (upper 80’s outside temperature)
Apple Juice/Water in water pan. (1/3 of a 64 oz. bottle + 12 oz. water)
Foil Pan on the rack below Butt.
Butt fat cap up.
Smoked (Hickory/Apple mix) every hour for first 6 hours
4 hours IT 153 degrees
6 hours IT 176 degrees (added 1/3 of a 64 oz. bottle Apple Juice to water pan)
7 hours IT 180 degrees
8 hours IT 187 degrees (added last of 64 oz. bottle Apple Juice to water pan)
9 hours IT 194 degrees
10 hours 201 degrees
Pulled it at IT 203 degrees after 10 hours 10 min.
Let rest 2 hour wrapped in 4 layers of heavy duty aluminum foil, wrapped in 2 towels and put in a dry cooler.
It turned out awesome! Very moist, nice bark and tasted great!
View attachment 373045 View attachment 373046

Great job, it looks great!
Hot and fast on those big cuts, all the way for me! :)

Really good looking PP, I'd eat a plate of that.

Point for sure.

Chris

Looks good. I have the mes 30 also I’ve heard to not use the water pan though since it gets so moist on its own. Also I use the amnps with pellets it makes it even easier to use that smoker. Food looks good makes me want to do one again

Looks good. I have the mes 30 also I’ve heard to not use the water pan though since it gets so moist on its own. Also I use the amnps with pellets it makes it even easier to use that smoker. Food looks good makes me want to do one again

Very True---Putting liquid in a MES water pan does nothing good.

Bear

Very True---Putting liquid in a MES water pan does nothing good.

Bear
I have not heard that. Everything I have ever smoked in my MES 30 I have used the water pan for. I do not inject or brine any of the meats I have cooked. I have even felt that a couple things I have smoked were a little dry. Without the water pan they would have been awful. Please explain?

Do you have a Window in your MES?
If so does it often get covered with condensation on the inside?
That's because it is insulated so good that there is already too much moisture in an MES, without adding any to it.
I haven't put any liquid in my water pan in 8 years, and never had anything come out dry because of it.
The window fills with condensation & runs down the glass. I can wipe it dry, and it's filled up in less than a minute again.

I forgot all the bad things about putting water in an MES water pan, because just knowing it doesn't do anything good is enough reason for me.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky