Smoked NM Barker chile

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richoso1

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 21, 2007
Decided to smoke some NM Barker chiles that were red and ripe, part of a batch trucked in from Hatch, NM. Put 3 pieces of charcoal in the bottom of the coffee can with 1 chunk of hickory on top of the charcoal. Fired up the GOSM on high, both intake vents wide open, exhaust wide open as usual. As soon as the coals got going, I closed the regulator, and the intake vents, and opened the door till temp stabilized at 125º-130º; the GOSM was in direct sunlight at high noon (next time Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll try it in the shade). The chiles were on the top most rack. After 2 hrs, I pulled them for a taste test. Sweetness hits first, 2nd is the smoke flavor, 3rd is some heat. These will get diced up for burritos and the likes.
8a6b3acf_vbattach20225.jpg

846341bc_vbattach20224.jpg

ec14a368_vbattach20223.jpg

edd82be9_vbattach20222.jpg

Let me know when the burritos are ready
biggrin.gif
. We froze one box of Annaheims this year. I would have liked to have some Barkers. They sure look good.

You made a good choice of freezing them, easy to thaw over and over again. The Barker variety is very hot this year, we only got 15 lbs of Barker. We got 35 lb. of the Sandia variety, not as hot, so you can taste more flavor. It's all good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky