Smoked my first Boston butt. Why did I wait so long?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
I don’t know why, but until today I have never smoked a pork shoulder or Boston butt for pulled pork.  I guess we like too many other smoked delights.  But after today, pulled pork is definitely in the rotation.  And, it was one of the easier smokes that I have done.

I started with a 7.0 pound Boston butt.  Seasoned it the night before (yellow mustard and SPG) and put it in my pre-heated MES40 smoker at 275F at 7AM this morning.  Thermometer went in the meat at the start because at 275F, it would cruise through the "danger zone" in under 4 hours.  The butt was at 203F at 5:40 and so tender that I pulled the bone right out of it.  It only got a 15 minute rest because the wife was hungry...and she must be kept happy.  The short rest had no ill effects as the meat was still plenty moist.

Hickory was used for the smoke.  I did not wrap it at 165F - it was in the MES40 smoker all the way.  No water used in the water pan.

Here are a few pics...

Start

Finished

After I pulled out the bone

Initial shred with forks

hand shredded the rest of the way after it cooled a bit

Well now you know why pork butt/pulled pork is one of the most frequently smoked meat. A definite favorite in our house.

Yours looks great. Good bark, perfectly cooked and moist, tender PP. Nice job.

POINT for finally doing a butt and making great PP.

Did you use a finishing sauce or add the drippings back in.

Gary

Thanks for the points.  We used a finishing sauce - local guys make it and market it as STICKY PIG.  

It does look good . I see you're in Mo. I've had Sticky pig ,,, it's good .  Nice job . 

Great job on that butt!  
points1.png

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky