Smoked Mullet, Fla Kind

Discussion in 'Fish' started by 2cycle, Aug 10, 2008.

1. 2cycle

2cycle Fire Starter

I'm trying to remember how we did it, its been 30yrs since I've smoked mullet and can't remember all the details. I remember that it took several hours back then, and was sooo good. We're getting a good mullet run here now, and seeing all those nice mullet around the docks got me hankerin for some smoked mullet.

Anyone got a good proceedure for it, would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

2. supervman

supervman Smoking Fanatic

YOU SMOKE HAIR????????

j/k

Lol

3. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

[​IMG]

Boy, I just wish I could catch some. I usually do my Blues and Spanish around 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Lots of spices, especially black pepper. Love smoked mullet though. Dips are good too.

4. 2cycle

2cycle Fire Starter

As I recall, all we did was brine and smoke. Just can't remember how long for each.

Greg

5. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I don't even brine, which may be why my mullet never taste quite like the ones at our seafood fest. Not sure if they brine or not though. My wife wants the fish more dry for the dips, so 3 1/2 hours at 200º or so did it.

6. 2cycle

2cycle Fire Starter

I want it to be like it was when I was younger in Fla, it had a hint of salt but not overpowering. I do remember that they were cleaned like swordfish, removing the belly scum first.

Greg