Smoked meatloaf finally! Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shelton573

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
SE Iowa
So we got into the beers pretty heavy on Friday night and decided to do a meatloaf on Saturday so I thawed out 9 lb of ground beef and away we went. I'm not real sure what the recipe was because my neighbor just started throwing stuff in the bowl.
Here is the 9 lb beast goin in the smoker.

Sitting in the smoke at 230 degrees

Also did a tray of smoked loaded fries. They were amazing!

Here is the loaf out of the smoker and cut up. Has a nice smoke ring in it and was hands down the best meatloaf I have ever had! Thanks for looking!

Shelton

Reactions: floridasteve
Looks great! Good thing it is I wouldn't want to eat 9# of not so good meatloaf Sammies!
I'm guessing you cook the fries? Looks like a great side!!

Looks great! Good thing it is I wouldn't want to eat 9# of not so good meatloaf Sammies!
Thank ya! I was hoping there would be some leftovers but people kept stopping by and eating lol. Ended up being two slices left so I reckon I wasn't the only one that like it hah. For the fries I just used a 2 lb bag of crinkle cut and got the smoker up to 325 and threw on apple wood. I cooked the fries until they are crisp (about 25-30 min). Once they are done we just packed them together and covered in pepper jack and cheddar cheese, green onion, jalapeño, bacon and diced ham and put them back on to melt the cheese. We made sure the smoke was rolling still when we melted the cheese. Even though it don't take long, the cheese still picked up some smokiness.

Shelton

Great looking loaf, Shelton. Meat loaf is one of our favorites. Some folks can't believe that I smoke meat loaf. I tell 'em, just try it once and you'll never cook another one in the oven. Keep on smokin', Joe

Great looking loaf, Shelton. Meat loaf is one of our favorites. Some folks can't believe that I smoke meat loaf. I tell 'em, just try it once and you'll never cook another one in the oven. Keep on smokin', Joe

Thanks joe! My buddy's wife was not happy that we were going to smoke it because she said it will dry it out real bad. It was unbelievably juicy and she said she will never do another in the oven. Can't wait to do another one. Maybe next time I'll have enough for left overs hah. My buddy wants to do a 12 lb next!

Shelton

Thank ya! I was hoping there would be some leftovers but people kept stopping by and eating lol. Ended up being two slices left so I reckon I wasn't the only one that like it hah. For the fries I just used a 2 lb bag of crinkle cut and got the smoker up to 325 and threw on apple wood. I cooked the fries until they are crisp (about 25-30 min). Once they are done we just packed them together and covered in pepper jack and cheddar cheese, green onion, jalapeño, bacon and diced ham and put them back on to melt the cheese. We made sure the smoke was rolling still when we melted the cheese. Even though it don't take long, the cheese still picked up some smokiness.

Shelton

Thanks I'll have to try that soon!

Sheldon, where in SE Iowa are you? I grew up break the River on the I'll side between Muskatine and Burlington.

Great feed and pictures. Never thought about fries in the smoker -- I'll have to try it! :points:
Thank ya sir! Just remember if you try it use a perforated pan. Turns out pretty awesome!

Sheldon, where in SE Iowa are you? I grew up break the River on the I'll side between Muskatine and Burlington.
I live outside of the quad cites in Durant. Moved up here a bit over 3 yrs ago for work.

Shelton

Thank ya sir! Just remember if you try it use a perforated pan. Turns out pretty awesome!
I live outside of the quad cites in Durant. Moved up here a bit over 3 yrs ago for work.

Ah yes, know the quad cities well. I think mr cousin Blaine lives near Dorant, and my cousin Nancy lives in leClaire.

I am going to try the meat loaf tonight.  I need to buy a perforated pan, and use my regular recipe,(3lbs sirloin, ketchup, yellow mustard, onions, garlic, brown sugar, bread crumbs,2 eggs, 1 cup milk, and a pinch of kitchen bouquet.

It will go on my new Texas Brazzo any suggestions.

Deer Hunters 

I need to buy a perforated pan, and use my regular recipe
I don't use a perforated pan,  I put my meat loaf on a sheet of aluminum foil then trim the edges to about 1" all the way around.

Instead of a perforated pan, try a Bradley rack or some other type of cooling rack. Also, I like oatmeal instead of bread crumbs. It just seems to have a different texture for me.

Reactions: deer hunters
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky