Smoked London Broil and Soup Bones

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flash

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 30, 2007
Chiefland/Cedar Key, Fl
Wife and I were in Winn Dixie the other day and found a buy one, get one free on London Broil along with these strange looking Soup bones.

546cacb3_SoupBones0000.jpg

Actually the price did not reflect that as it was about 2.4 lbs @$1.99 a lb. Still, these beef backed/boned ribs were the biggest I had ever seen and I had always wanted to try smoking a London Broil, so picked up two London Broils and 4 packs of Soup Bones ;)

a86376a9_LBSB0001.jpg

Didn't have any Mojo Criollo so used Q3131A's recipe, although altered alittle to meet out taste.

dae0e6eb_HomemadeMojo002.jpg

da18a770_LB0008.jpg

Marinaded them for around 4 hours. Both cuts looked great and ready for the smoker.
I seared the London Broil on the grill at high heat for about 2 1/2 minutes, then moved it to the smoker.

ffff02db_Smoker1hour0010.jpg

I guess the mods that I did to the R2D2 Brinkman helped with the temps. I was shooting for more like 225 to 250º in the smoker, but eventually saw 300º. Had to vent the lid some to try and keep temp down. Next time less charcoal. What was to be around a 3 hour total smoke became around 2 hours to finish. Here is the beef ribs and London Broil after one hour.

899e7d18_LB2hour0011.jpg

At 135º I pulled the LB and took it inside and wrapped it in foil to wait for the Ribs to finish. Just over 2 hours.

a0ec358d_BeefRibs25hours0013.jpg

This beef boned/backed ribs were big enough to poke the temp gauge into, something I can't normally do with beef ribs. I ended up pulling them at 156º internal temp. These were wrapped in foil also. Notice how the meat has pulled back from the bone, a good sign that the rib is done.

London Broil was tender and very juicy. May had got done to soon, but it was done to perfection. Sliced some for dinner and will save the rest for sammies.

fd726c95_LBCarved0015.jpg

I forgot to take a shot of ribs after they were cut. We thought we were eating a piece of prime rib, right off the bone. And I guess after checking into things, we were. My wife stated she had never had prime rib that tasted this good. I had to agree.
I do need to check the temp probe on my Taylor digital as it may be reading high. Meats were both in the medium rare area and very tasty.
Alittle wine, pasta, salad, baked beans and some fabulous beef. What a dinner

Last edited:
Fantastic. I hope you didn't throw away those rib bones. If you use them and those "soup" bones together they will make a super tasty stock. Soup usually follows stock in my house. The smokiness from those rib bones will make any stock/soup better. Just my $0.02.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Scooter will enjoy dem bones after the soup is made. My sister's dog enjoys all my post soup bones.

Chandler waiting for bones!!

Chandler_Oct_21_07_002_small.jpg

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Well, ran some test today and found my Taylor Digital temp gauge was off by +21º compared with my Accurite model. Probably by the time I order a replacement probe for the Taylor, I could buy another Accurite. I assume the probe is the issue
confused.gif

Dang Flash, SUPER pictures.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Talk about drool.
wink.gif
I must say, if you were on the "Iron Chef" with that meat, even that, "its never good enough for me", Jeffery, would be smiling.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Man ya'll are killin me! That is a great looking smoke, I don't know what to smoke next. Every time I think I do somebody else will post a pic and I want to do that.
icon_rolleyes.gif

great job there flash the cook looks mahhhvalous..i was gonna tell ya to sear the broils but hey you did your homework and it payed off...searing works on more than just briskets...CUDOS

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky