smoked lake trout/whitefish w-qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

erain

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 2, 2008
cental minnesota
smoking the lakers and a couple whitefish we caught this past weekend up in ontario. first the victims.

cut up, one whitefish into slabs, other into steaks. the lake trout steaked the forward half with the rib sections and filleted the tail sections

the mixings for the brine

pieces were pretty thick so i did a 36 hour soak, need to do to your personal taste.

a 4-6 hour soak in fresh water

rinse fish off and pat dry and place on racks to allow the pellicle to form. i set mine on table under ceiling fan for air flow.

lake trout steaks

tail section fillets, i think you can see the shiney pellicle coating forming in the picture

the gosm is pretty full

the brine recipie is:

smoked fish brine

2 3/4 cups pickling salt
10 qts cold water-use good water
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbls garlic salt

soak avg sized pieces 24 hrs, soak in fresh water 1 hour

big thick pieces of fish, may require more time and smaller less. once out of brine set on a rack with a fan blowing across fish til outside of fish dry, a coating will form on it called the "pellicle", is now ready for smoker. i also like to rub some brown sugar on the meat

will be back later with finish pix

Looks great, Erain. Looking forward to seeing the results.
biggrin.gif

I can already tell, those are gonna be good!

whitefish fillets and steaks, steaks will be vacpacked and frozen for use in a fish boil this spring.

trout steaks

tail fillets, i used a garlic/pepper grind i had just to try out on a couple of them

on a ritz, that lake trout has such a nice pretty orange flesh

thanks for ckin out my thread and pix!!!

Wow Erain they look tasty, good job and nice Q-view.
what was your choice of wood? If ya mentioned it I missed it.

fantastic looking fish.
And then eating it on a ritz cracker lol

have to admit I love hot smoked fish in sarnies, hmmmm

Now if that had been cowgirls plate.... (with fruit) ;-)

But you can't beat the satisfaction of seeing the fish right from icey lake to cracker. You're a fortunate man and no mistake :-)

Great lookin fish Erain! Is it okay to brine in stainless steel? Can ya brine previously frozen fish?

Looks Great E!!!
Been lookin forward to this thread....and wasn't disappointed!!!

NICE! I've smoked up some great fish, never lake trout. I never saw such an orange fish! A buddy of mine gives me regular trout in the spring that I smoke up for him. He then mixes the trout as a dip for on crackers, I think cream cheese and some other stuff. It's a great dip that people LOVE!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky