Smoked Italian Sausage Stuffed Shrooms W-Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chisoxjim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 25, 2007
Based on the ideas and inspiration of others on SMF decided on Stuffed mushrooms for a side for some ribs I am doing for an early dinner before trick-or-treating.

Got a nice carton of mushrooms, some were good sized. I chopped up 3 of them as part of the filling along with some minced garlic, onion, bread crumbs, italian sausage, and parmesan. I seasoned the mix with red wine, lea and perrins, thyme, oregano, and black pepper.

I took the stems out of the shrooms, and also scraped out the gills. Stuffed with the stuffing, and topped with a pickled jalapeno. I will plan on doing them on the smoker for about an hour and ahalf, and I may top with some Asiago cheese for the last part of the smoke.

ingredients(i decided against using the cream cheese pictured)

mushrooms cleaned and ready to stuff:

stuffing:

stuffed and ready to go:

ribs just went on, shrooms to follow in about an hour and a half.

thanks for looking, more to follow

Those look like they will be tasty!
Nice idea scraping the gills out, will help to cut down on that bitter flavor they tend to have.
I usually take the stems out and mince them and use those as part of the mixture as well.
liked the addition of the jalapeno slice on top, makes for a nice presentation.

Those are looking mighty tasty. I also chop the stems when I make them.
Just saw some panchetta at the local market so I will try adding that next time - Like the jalopeno on top

thanks folks,

I moved to fast to use the stems(I am also baking a couple cakes to make a pumpkin shaped cake for my daughter), otherwise they would have gone in the mix as well(i had to sacrifice a couple whole mushrooms to make up for that omission).

I also figured jalapeno makes everything better.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I live west of Chicago too,
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I cant wait for dinner.

heres the cake I was working on with my helper:

Happy halloween..

shrooms are going on now, more pics later

Nice looking cake, looks like your Daughter was having a blast.
What did you use for the stem? Looks like maybe a frosted upside down ice cream cone?

bingo,

it was fun, her favorite holiday is Halloween.

damn... those shrooms were one of the best things I have done, pics to follow either after tric-or-treating or tomorrow am. melted the asiago over the shrooms. a home run imho.

Hope you post them tonight, saying something like the best yet means a lot, can't wait to check them out, and of course give the recipe a try.
Have fun trick-or-treating, what is your Daughter going as and are you dressing up?

That is a way cool cake and an even better looking helper. We have 9 grandkids so I am on my second round of cute kids to corrupt
Congrats on cooking with her.
points.gif

Man, that is great! I forgot all about your awesome mushrooms when I started seeing your pumpkin cake and daughter~ I remember when my kids were small enough to sit on the table and play with decorating a cake as well.

Beautiful pics, and great looking pumpkin cake too. Thanks for sharing. Did your shroomers turn out good with the Asiago? Love Asiago cheese here...

Happy holloween!

Those Mushrooms looks great Jim, and the cake is cute too.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

thanks for the kind words all, the pics are downloading now, my daughter dressed up as a princess, and i was the chauffeer as my wife took her door to door.

pics will be up in a few minutes, sorry for the delay.

the shrooms tooka bout 2 hours total, i topped them with asiago for the last 15 mintes of smoking. Really nice taste. Next time I may add some marinara to the italian sausage mix, but no other modifications.

just on the smoker:

shrooms @ 1.5 hours:

shrooms before the cheese topping:

topped:

finished:

thanks for looking.

Well the shrooms look great but the smile on the little girls face is priceless! Enjoy them now cause in a few years you will be making the trip as I am next month to give her away.

thanks rick,

I imagine that day comes way too quick.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky