Smoked German Pork Chops

Discussion in 'Pork' started by smokenmirrors, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Does anyone have any ideas on how to properly smoke pork chops, German style?

I have a pork loin that I intend to slice into medallions 1" thick and I would like to prepare them reasonably authentically.

2. I've been looking around [​IMG] since I didn't get any suggestions from the forum. I think I will brine the chops and then smoke with apple wood. Smoked German pork chops are subtle, so I think that will work well. I will let you know how it goes and maybe Q-view it too.

3. I am pretty sure our GAK serves up a cured smoked chop.// They are to die for no doubt.. I can ask the chef the next time we go there.

4. bigsteve

bigsteve Master of the Pit

The only German PC I've ever had or made were on the stove. But if you want them to be authentic, wear your ledderhosen, unt zauf ein bier.

Prost!

5. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Is this what you are looking for?

German-Style Cured Pork Chops (Gepockelte) Prep Time: 2 Hours
    Servings: 4-6 pounds
    Ingredients
    Loin or rib chops, 1/2 to 3/4-inch-thick
    1 tablespoon Morton® Tender Quick® mix or Morton® Sugar Cure® (plain) mix per pound of chops Directions
    Rub Morton® Tender Quick® mix or Morton® Sugar Cure® (plain) mix throughly into pork chops. Place meat in "food grade" plastic bag. Tie open end. Let cure in refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours. Before cooking, rinse chops under running water to remove excess salt.
    Brown chops in lightly greased skillet. Add 1/4 cup of water. Cover tightly and simmer until done, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Smoke instead of cooking.

6. I was hoping to do them in the smoker. I will experiment and let you all know how they turn out this weekend.

Thanks RonP for the suggestion...

7. Being German shouldn't they have some kind of tang as in Saurbratten,sauerkraut or red cabbage? Keep us informed . Thanks for posting the recipe Ron.