"Smoked", "Fried" chicken with the vortex...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 3, 2013
Massapequa, NY (Long Island)
Well I haven't been on in a while because last week I was on a family camping trip. Tried not to use my phone much (maybe I was subconsciously attempting to set the example for my daughter and nieces and nephews that we should be enjoying the outdoors and not playing with our phones and iPads haha)

Anyways, I am going away next week as well so this week I am trying to eat healthy and exercise to undo some of the damage that a week long vacation does haha. So tonight I decided to make my usual oven "fried" chicken on the weber with the vortex.

So here goes...

Skinned some bone in chicken thighs and trimmed some of the fat (trying to be healthy here)

Made a flavored wash with egg substitute, Memphis dust and Dijon mustard.

Then I mixed some whole wheat breadcrumbs with Parmesan cheese. (Trying to limit my carbs but when I do eat them try to stay 100% whole wheat.)

Into the wash and then the breadcrumbs:

Here they are after about a half hour around the vortex:

I pulle hem around 175-180 IT as that is what I like for dark meat:

The verdict:

Very nice crispy crust which makes you think you are eating skin on thighs without the calories, fat, cholesterol etc. from the skin. Very juicy and tasty... Maybe could have salted the chicken itself as it needed a little more.

Smoke flavor... Not very detectable. The reason I called these "smoked" is because I didn't put any wood over the vortex but instead used kingsford applewood briquettes which is my first two uses have not impressed me.

Either way this is a great way to cook breaded chicken. My wife loves the breaded wings at hooters so I might have to try this with wings in the near future! Thanks for looking and I'm glad to be back!

-Chris

Last edited:
This looks amazing. What did you use for the egg substitute?

This looks amazing. What did you use for the egg substitute?

Thanks so much! I used the egg substitute that comes in the carton. I get it at the supermarket. I think it's 99% egg whites with some other stuff added to give it the same viscosity and color of whole eggs.

Looks great,hope you have fun next week!

Thanks so much! I'm really looking forward to it. Last week we were camping (a lot of packing,prep work, cooking, cleaning up, etc.) next week is a 10th anniversary trip (sans child) to an all inclusive in Mexico haha opposite end of the spectrum

I like the whole idea,I may try that with some fish Points for the ideas

Richie

Nice job Chris!

They look delicious!

Points for your creativity!

Al

Thanks For the points Al! Think I stole this idea from someone on here haha

I like the whole idea,I may try that with some fish Points for the ideas
Richie

Thanks for the points Richie! I think this would work great with battered fish! Grilled fish and chips!

Looks awesome, what about a brine to infuse a bit of salt?

Thanks so much! The brine definitely would have helped but this was a last minute decision.

That Chicken Looks Great, Chris!!
drool.gif
----
points.gif

Sounds Mighty Tasty too!!
drool.gif

Bear

Nice smoke. The missus and I have been eating low carb for years. We leave the skin and fat on BUT no flour.  Wheat is wheat no matter if its whole wheat or whatever. ... Point. B

Nice smoke. The missus and I have been eating low carb for years. We leave the skin and fat on BUT no flour.  Wheat is wheat no matter if its whole wheat or whatever. ... Point. B

Thanks for the points B! I try to limit carbs where I can but I have had my greatest success watching calories and fat. This site doesn't help any of that haha

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky