Smoked Dried Pepper Grinding Comparison

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluewhisper

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 1, 2014
Columbus Ohio
Like many people here, I smoke peppers. I usually start from dried pods which might already be brittle and crumbly, or tough and leathery like Guajillo which become brittle after some smoky discipline.

Then I grind them, and I have two coffee grinders to choose from. Both of these are from the 1980s and these will never grind coffee again. One is the blade type, similar to a miniature blender. I use this one for general-purpose spice grinding.

blade grinder.jpg

As with grinding coffee beans, these are fast but their particle size is inconsistent. Some of the result is powder, but some is flake. The popcorn kernel is for size comparison.

first_grind.jpg

The other grinder is the burr type, which is a true grinding mill. It has settings from coarse to fine, numbered 1 - 12.

burr_grinder1.jpg

This is the upper half.

burr_grinder2.jpg

It produces a more consistent particle size, which is better for passing through a shaker top on a typical seasoning jar.

second_grind.jpg

... now on to go blend some chile powder!

Reactions: SonnyE
Many people out here smoke weed.
But they'd be better off if they smoked peppers, I think. :confused:

We have an old coffee grinder we use for spices, too.
I made my own onion powder the other day. Grandma had a bag of onions going bad.
So I salvaged the best of the rest, sterilized, dehydrated, and ground in the blender.
Sure does smell great.
Um, no. I didn't smoke them. But now I'm wondering....:)
Ever heard of smoked onion powder? (I have smoked Paprika)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky