Smoked Cotton Tail

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

white cloud

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 27, 2007
Riley Center MI
Any thoughts besides what my plans are for smoking a couple cotton tail rabbits?. I plan on brine cureing overnight along with garlic and black pepper at a ratio of .75% of TQ's recomendations. Maybe wrap one with bacon and leave the other and just give a seasoned oil mop every so often. Give both a rub, the one with bacon apply rub before wrapping and after. Any other suggestions?

Hey cloud, I was just reading an article today about smoking cottontails. I have never done it but the article spoke volumes about food safety, as these critters can carry all kinds of nasties. Wear gloves while dressing. (The organism tularemia can pass through human skin) and make sure your brine is well chilled and dont take any chances.

I am sure it will be delicious, just wanted to give you a heads up. Apparently you have to be extra careful when preparing cottontails for eating. I never would have known if it werent for the article I read today.

In summary, be diligent in your prep, and enjoy the finished product. Hope to see some q-view.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

They say not to hunt until after a good freeze for awhile. But I still wouldn't mind just shootin them sometimes, as much damage as they do to the thousands of trees I have planted out back over the last 12 years.
Thanks

Yeah they are lean. Never tried em on the smoker, have grilled but they are abit dry. The best way I have done them is in a dutch oven. Seasoned flour, brown in the pan, add some water, cover and stew for awhile adding water as needed. With mashed taters.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky