Smoked Chicken with electric smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

adrian17471

Original poster
Feb 16, 2014
Hello i am a new member, and this is my second time smoking chicken on my electric smoker. The first time the skin was rubbery the temperature was 250 on the smoker, But now i want to try a brine spatchcocked chicken on my smoker, but the temperature only could get to 275 max. How can i get a crispy skin on my chicken, and for how long should i cook it on the smoker. It's a 5 pound chicken. After smoking it Do i have to put it on the gas grill direct or indirect? Thanks.

I had the same problem. Now, I turn my smoker as high as it will go and cook it to an internal temperature of 150 F and then I finish it on my gas grill over a medium flame.

Disco

How high does your smoker temp get? And how long does it take to get the internal temperature150 of the thigh or breast?

Well, the last time I smoked it was -22 C (-8 F) and I could only get it up to 270 F in my smoker. It took about 2 1/4 hours to get to 150 F internal temperature on a 3 pound bird. 

In the summer, I can get it up to 300 and It would be about 1 3/4 hours.

However, this can vary if you open the smoker or there if there is a lot of wind,

For a 5 pound bird, I would think it would take about 3 1/2 hours around 270-290 F.

As for the grill, I like some char with the crisp skin so I turn the flame down to medium or medium low and cook it direct until the skin is crisp and the IT shows cooked. However, I have also done it over indirect heat with the other burner set on high and the skin browns and crisps nicely as well. It is a matter of personal preference.

Hello i am a new member, and this is my second time smoking chicken on my electric smoker. The first time the skin was rubbery the temperature was 250 on the smoker, But now i want to try a brine spatchcocked chicken on my smoker, but the temperature only could get to 275 max. How can i get a crispy skin on my chicken, and for how long should i cook it on the smoker. It's a 5 pound chicken. After smoking it Do i have to put it on the gas grill direct or indirect? Thanks.
Adrian

Texas howdy to you. Most folks with electrics will toss the bird on the grill for a few moments to crisp the skin. These electrics have a lot of great attributes.  But most won't get hot enough to crisp. 

By the way.  I see you're new.  So Welcome!  Youll find lots of great folks and posts here to help you.  Be sure to stop by the roll call area to introduce yourself! 

Brian

I really appreciate your help and experience on the electric smoker thanks. 

Adrian

Texas howdy to you. Most folks with electrics will toss the bird on the grill for a few moments to crisp the skin. These electrics have a lot of great attributes.  But most won't get hot enough to crisp. 

By the way.  I see you're new.  So Welcome!  Youll find lots of great folks and posts here to help you.  Be sure to stop by the roll call area to introduce yourself! 

Brian
Thanks for the welcoming BDSkelly, I will stop by the roll call area soon, but first I need to get this bird on the smoker quick lol thanks.

Hey Adrian17471,

I love smoking wings, but like you my smoker only goes up to 275. Ill smoke mine at about 225-230 for 2 hours, flip, then smoke for one more hour. Once the wings are cooked all the way through Ill fire up the gas grill and finish the wings there. This is also where I will add my sauce. this will get the skin nice and crispy and you can get a nice carmelization from the sauce. Good Luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky