Smoked Chicken (Maple, Ginger, Orange Zest)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ham's on fire

Original poster
Thought I'd share a picture of yesterdays smoke out. There should have been a Fatty and 8 more ABT's in the picture. However, they didn't survive the initial attack from our 2 teenage boys (The Irish Twins). Fortunately, they both hit a couple of hot ABT's at the same time and as they were running for the cream, I snapped the picture. :lol: The chickens were injected with apple juice, compliments to you folks, and then basted with a Maple, Ginger and Orange Zest mixture. Had to deal with a cold wind yesterday so it took a while.

Cheer,
Ham

Great looking birds and ABT's there Ham! I too have suffered the curse of hungry teenagers. Try having to feed five of 'em and it just ain't the boys that got the appetites! :shock: My gals could pack away as much grub as the boys could. Luckily we're down to the last teenager (the baby) and he's trying to get his weight down so he doesn't have to play football this Fall as a Lineman.

We did some chickens this weekend. They turned out okay but I cooked them too fast and they didn't get enough smoke on them. Your's look great though Ham.

Beautiful even color on those birds. And that flavor combination sounds delicious.

Hi Folks, Thanks for the compliments! It sure is nice when it works out. Mrs. Ham (Jill) pulled all of the leftover chicken, made stock of the carcass and we just polished off the family favorite (Tex-Mex Chicken Tortilla Soup). :) That smoke flavored chicken takes it from good to fantastic. With 30 days straight of rain, we're eating a lot of soup these days.

Dutch - Five kids? Wow, I can't even imagine it. My two boys go through an Elk and a couple of Deer and Antelope every year with several Ducks and Geese thrown in. I hate to think what 5 of 'em could put down. :shock:

Hey There Lady J,

Here it is. This came from my Sister In-law in New Mexico. It is a very simple recipe, but it taste great.

Tex Mex Tortilla Soup

Whole Smoked Chicken (skinned and boned) or 4 Cooked Chicken breasts
4 cups water
2 (14 ½ oz.) cans chicken stock
2 (14 ½ oz.) cans beef broth
2 (14 ½ oz.) cans Ro-tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles
1 cup chopped onion
1 (16 oz.) can corn drained
2 tsp. chili powder
½ cup diced New Mexico Anahiem Chili
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. pepper

Chop up Chicken, add all other ingredients and heat. Top with Tortilla chips coarsely crushed, grated jack cheese, cilantro, lime and sour cream to taste.

Serves 4 hungry people

We usually make or own Chicken Stock but the can stuff works fine in a pinch.

Hope you like it,

Ham

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky