Smoked Chicken Chile Rellanos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cowgirl

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 2, 2007
Oklahoma
This is a repost that was lost during the crash. Thought some of you might be needing ideas for your peppers.

I rubbed a hen with butter and seasoned with kosher salt and cracked black pepper... I wanted to keep the seasonings simple.
Smoked with a bit of hickory...

I combine the cooled chicken meat with about 1/2 cup of minced onion, jalapeno and some shredded queso campesino.

I blister and place the anaheims in a baggie to steam for easy peeling...( can be done on a grill)

The seeded and peeled chiles, stuffed with the smoked chicken, onion, jalapeno and cheese filling....

I dust them with flour and dip in a batter...then fry til golden...
The batter I use is 4 egg whites whipped, add 4 beaten yolks and 4 TBS of flour.

The smoked chicken chile rellanos, cactus salad and anasazi beans with jalapeno bacon...

The Smoked chicken and cheese add a lot to the rellanos....

I serve them with a sauce...saute some minced onion and garlic in a bit of oil, add 2 cups of chicken broth, 1 small can of tomato sauce, 1 tsp of oregano, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 10 minutes.
It's a thin sauce, but tasty. :)

Geez oh my, those look freaking delicious. Just picked a bunch of anaheims out of the garden. Need to try this one to...Points on this one.

Made me hungry last time too !!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

That looks great Jeanie, I'm glad you decided to repost this otherwise I might never have come across it. Had to make sure and save this one.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

OUCH!!!!! (hurts so good) How did I miss the first post on this? That looks great!

Thanks for the revival, Jeanie!

Eric

Beautiful! Plus you make it look so easy! I'll have to try separating the eggs and whipping the whites first....very nice coating. You do put out some beautiful food and as always, thank you for sharing it!

another great post and great pics. I typically deep fry my chili rellenos, but this looks like an method I need to try a.s.a.p.

Those look frigin' awesome! I grew up in New Mexico.... abolutely love Chilli Rellanos!

One thing I do is add a little cummin to my egg yolks when I beat them and add them to the whites. Also a great cheat to use if you are cooking for a lot of people is to do them in the oven! Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray, put down half of your egg batter, lay chilli's on top, cover with rest of batter and bake at 375'ish. Not quite as good as doing them individually, but you can bake off 6-8 in one pan depending on the size/type of chilli's you use.

Thanks for the tip JI, I will give your method a try!! Sure sounds handy for feeding a crowd.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thanks for the kind words everybody... it's a good way to use leftover PP or brisket too. :)

Look absolutely delic! I just showed this to my wife (who is a HUGE rellanos fan), and I guess we are going to do it soon! :)

Thanks for the post!

Best,
Trout

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky