Smoked Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stacks

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Clinton, MO
A neighbor asked if I would smoke some cheese for her. Having never attempted this (but not wanting to walk away from a damsel in distress) I said I would do it. Now I have to figure out how and what kind.
I think I will use hickory on my first attempt saving my fruit woods (apple, plumb, and cherry) for later experiments.
My neighbor has no preference on what kind of cheese I use or how much of it. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with smoking cheese that would be a sure fire hit for my first attempt assuming I don't mess it up and melt the cheese? I was thinking simple - a block of hickory smoked cheddar.... Of course apple smoked cheddar might be good too.
Also, any direction on time and method. I've read to place a few hot coals on a hunk of wood far enough away from the cheese to make sure the temp stays between 60 and 90 degrees, but allows the cheese to absorb the smoke. but I'm not sure when I know it's done.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Mike

Stacks,

You are correct on the temps , however your taste buds will let you know when its done. About an hour will do, I use a mix of apple and hickory always turns out really good. I shoot for about 80 on most of mine. cheddar holds really nice so does colby , MJ. Personal favorite is a pepper jack.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out

If you don't know her tastes you might want to start with a milder wood. Cheese really soaks up the smoke more readily then meat and you could overdue it.

I use apple and I smoke the cheese for about an hour or so. I know others like to smoke it several hours as they like a strong taste. Almost any cheese will work, my favorites are gouda and mozarella..

Keep the temp below 85 degrees if you can, otherwise the cheese will get soft.

I find that wrapping it off when it cools, and refrigerating for 24 hours before eating lets the smoke taste mellow out then trying it sooner.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Here is what I like to do.

I freeze a one pound block of qualitity cheese over night. I keep it on a low heat and smoke it with a really nice mild wood like alder.

I did some for Christmas gift for some folks and now I find myself taking orders for more

Thanks for the help and the quick response. When I give it a go I will post some pics.
Also, sorry for starting this thread on the wrong forum catagory. I'll pay closer attention next time.

let us know particulars--i want to try but hope to learn from your trial...thanks.......
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

i do it all the time............2-3-4 peices of charchol.......just enuff to smolder the applewood.........with it this cold........i smoke with smoker temps never exceding 45 degrees.........

as to how long to smoke.........put a couple pieces on the smoker......same kind........then take one off at one hour of smoke, and the other at 2 hours.......wrap and put in fridge over nite........the smoke gets stronger, the longer it sits.......then taste each.......to see which you like.........smoking cheese is a taste perference.......some like the hour smoke.....some two hours........i perfer the 3 hour smoke.........but i LOVE smoked cheese...........

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=12884

Hey Dude, Do you take the plastice wrappers off of the slices ? The last time I did, and the slices kindda buckled and drooped between the grates. It still tasted good though I set little pretzel sticks in there. Thats me allways making jokes.............................

I smoke it 1-2 hours, generally with hickory. Since you are at Clinton (I'm just north at Peculiar) the ambient temps are about right presently for cheese smoking. You should not have to worry about melting the cheese (right now it is 16°).
If you want to intensify the flavor vacuum seal the cheese and put it in the freezer for a month or so. Or put it in a ziploc bag in the fridge for a week or two.
Smoked cheese eats most fine with smoked bologna (baloney down where I'm from) and snack crackers, along, of course, with "something cool to drink".
rolleyes.gif

Just north at Peculiar??? Mike?... Peculiarmike... I GET IT
biggrin.gif

Been through your town many times.
What happened with this weather? 57 yesterday morning and 15 by nightfall.
Going to try and get some cheese tonight or tomorrow and give this a shot while it's still cold. I'll take some pics to share.
Thanks everyone for the help.
Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky