Smoked Buffalo Wings with pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nater3

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Webster City, IA
I decided to try doing buffalo wings on the smoker today. I cut up 18 full wings into sections and seasoned them up. I smoked them for an hour with a mixture of birch, maple, hickory, apple and cherry. Sometimes I like to make mutt smoke as I call it. A little mixture of everything. :) I pulled them out after an hour and shook them up with some Louisiana Wicked Wings Sauce and then put them back in the smoker for fifteen minutes to glaze the sauce a little bit. These pics are right after I put them back in to glaze the sauce. My wife and I both really liked them, but I think I might add more sauce when they come off the smoker next time or reduce the time they go back on the smoker so not as much of the sauce runs off of them. I also did a couple of chicken hind quarters without the sauce and they were great too.
b2e418f7_vbattach21925.jpg

946247d7_vbattach21926.jpg

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
They look great. keep up the good work.

I smoked them around 240 for an hour and then bumped it up to about 260 when I glazed them to attempt to crisp them up, but I don't think they were in long enough to crisp up.

Thats on fine job there nater. Everything looks yummo.

As far as the sentry valve goes I am a quitter. I took it off and put my smoker back together with all of the original parts. I will mess with it later this summer when I have more time to mess with it. I wanted to smoke and didn't want to screw with it anymore.

I actually just reheated the twelve or so wings that we didn't eat last night and they were suprisingly almost as good tonight as they were fresh last night. Another thing that I liked about these was how quick and easy they were. I love my long smokes on the weekends, but like having a few different meats that I can smoke in a few hours or less. These maybe took 1 hour 45 minutes from starting with a package of full wings and pulling them off the smoker finished. These will definitely be repeated soon. I would like to find some bigger wings to work with next time.

If your skin is not crispy enough throw them on a hot grill for a few minutes to get em crispy. They do look good! Did you brine them at all? I have not brined in the past but I want to try it.

Those are some nice looking yard bird parts. Glad they came out yummy.

I found a cool way to crisp up wings if you have a charcoal/water smoker.

I smoked using my ECB, 1hr on the top rack. Used apple wood and a full pan of water.
Pulled them out and painted them with a glaze of wing sauce and sprinkled with a bit of brown and white sugar.

Then I took the water pan out of the smoker, stirred up my coals just a bit and put the wings back on the smoker, But I used the bottom rack.
I smoked them another 30 min. They were pretty nice and crispy outside and juicy inside. Temp was around 170.
Sorry no qview. I'll do it next time.

I guess this would be the same as crisping up on a gas grill, but I liked the idea of using the smoker and hot coals to do the entire job.

Interested to see what everyone thinks about this method. Was it a fluke that they turned out so well?

I think you're a friggin genius (I'm not being sarcastic) So many times I've wanted to find a handy way to be able to smoke and sear, and could never come up with a good way. Good god, your way is so simple and obvious. I'm embarrased I didn't see it in front of my face.

Thanks for sharing it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky