Smoked Brussel Sprouts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Spouts are a love / hate thing for many. Unfortunately a number who do not like them stems from being served mushed over cooked versions. Smoking them sounds wonderful and I have to try that!

For those still not sure, try a very simple prep and learn what they really taste like.
1. Cut off the stem end and peal off the outer leaf layer.
2. Slice in half, stem to top
3. place in a pot of boiling water with 1-2 tbs of dissolved chicken bouillon.
4. cook for 6m30s.
5. drain then stir in 1 tbs of butter until totally melted
6. serve (if desired sprinkle a 'little' freshly grated parmesan reggiano)

Thank you schlotz. That is the way I had them when I was little - got tired of them - too bland. This spruces them up a bit. Also, a very BIG "thank you" for #6 - We went to the store specifically for the sprouts and parmesan reggiano....the cheese never made it on the sprouts. - I will not confirm or deny, that a few adult beverages played any part of the cheese being forgotten.

Reactions: schlotz
Looks great,Love them,I make them similar but with water and no smoke but going to fix those little mistakes asap :)

Looks great,Love them,I make them similar but with water and no smoke but going to fix those little mistakes asap :)

Thanks Mike,

The next time I do them I'm going to smoke them a little longer. That was the first time that I smoked them and I didn't want to overdo the smoke flavor.

Looks Great Denny!!:)
I didn't like them when I was a Kid, but I must have acquired a taste for them since!
LOL---Your post makes it look like the Delmonico is the side & the Sprouts are the main dish.
Nice Job---Like.

Bear

We eat sprouts quite often and these sound delicious. Definitely going to give this a try.
POINT for a great idea.
I'm also going to try the apple juice since we always steam the sprouts.
Gary

Thanks Gary, I would like to take credit for the recipe but it's not mine...although I did add the "smoke" to the recipe.:D
Thanks for the point!

Looks Great Denny!!:)
I didn't like them when I was a Kid, but I must have acquired a taste for them since!
LOL---Your post makes it look like the Delmonico is the side & the Sprouts are the main dish.
Nice Job---Like.

Bear
Actually you are correct Bear, the sprouts were the main meal - I rarely think of having them and when I do, anything else turns into a side dish. Thanks for the point Bear!

I've never been able to tolerate brussel sprouts in any form, but my wife, and her extended family, that visit far too frequently, love them. So, to be accommodating, I've prepared them in countless forms, and still can't stand them. The closest I ever got to actually ever being able to tolerate them was when I trimmed, sliced, and sauteed them with some herbs, diced prosciutto, and authentic high quality balsamic vinegar. Then in struck me that all I was doing was "masking" the flavor of the cheap sprouts with very expensive prosciutto and balsamic. The wife and her family loved them, however, but I never did that again.

All that said, something occurred a several years ago that changed my attitude towards toward brussel sprouts, and no, it was not a recipe. I was reading an issue of "Scientific American" magazine on a long boring flight and there was an article regarding the difference in the DNA makeup of those who liked and disliked brussel sprouts. In short, it deals with the mutation of a specific gene, TAS2R38, and that those individuals who lack the gene variant that codes for the functioning taste receptor can eat the molecule it has evolved to interlock with, such as brussel sprouts, and won't know a thing about it. For those individuals who don't lack the variant, the reaction will be the opposite.

Well, since then, while everyone else at the table is eating brussel sprouts I can, without shame, eat something such as asparagus and , silently and smugly think that, maybe, just maybe, I might be genetically superior to all of them. ;)
C:\Users\dls\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png

I couldn't find the article that I original read but the link below is another article which gives a brief description of the topic.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2011/nov/01/brussel-sprout-gene[/QUOTE]

I'll give ya my secret to try. Add apple juice to a microwave steamer. Steam Sprouts for 3 to 4 mins on high. Then I shisk-a-bob them. Then smoke as long or as short as you like cause they are done. Those are little pieces of apple between 'em. I think yours look and sound great, but if you are ever on a short timer and we've all been there. Maybe the mac and cheese was just being obstinate and ya need a side. I like the rest above like sprouts!

View attachment 363898
Kevin I am stealing this LOL only I am putting some Bacon on mine.
Richie

Unfortunately brussel sprouts and I don't get along at all. Below is a representation of what happens when I've tried them in the past.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky