Smoked Birria Tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

MileHiGuy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 24, 2019
Denver, Colorado
I went to a new "west-coast mexican" place for a couple tacos last week in Denver (actually Centennial, CO) and they were awesome. I had Beef Birria Tacos. They even had the au jus that came along with my tacos. So, that got me thinking about making a very similar kind of taco and here is what I came up with. Smoked Birria Tacos:

6.5 lbs of beef meat - a combo of Beef Shanks (for the marrow) and Chuck Roast
Liberal amount of Kosmo's honey chipotle killer bee rub
2 Quarts of beer (I used Colorado Kolsch)
2 Quarts of beef broth
1 dried Anaheim pepper
5 dried guajillo peppers
3 dried California peppers
15 cloves garlic
2 white onions
flour tortillas
2-3 c. quesadilla cheese
limes

I cooked the meat in my Hasty Bake 258 charcoal oven with Cherry wood and Post oak creating smoke. I put the rub on the meat and started the fire in the smoker / grill. Then I put all the other ingredients in a basting pan and when the fire was hot enough, I put that on the smoker with the meat directly over it on a grill grate...the thought being two-fold, that the liquid would season the meat as it evaporated and the meat would drip flavor and goodness into the basting liquid. Then I smoked the meat in the Hasty for about 5 hours or so until it reached an internal temp of 165. Then I moved the meat into the liquid and kept it on the fire until the internal temp was about 215 (about 2 more hours). All the time, the grill was about 250 degrees. Then, I took the meat inside and let it cool and when it was cool enough, I shredded it. With the meat shredded (after a couple beers), I put a griddle on the grill. Then I proceeded to assemble and cook the tacos on the grill. I dipped the tortillas in the liquid, I then put shredded meat and the cheese in the tortillas to make tacos and I grilled them on the griddle (about 10 minutes, flipping them halfway). When the tacos were done cooking, I had a few with a Margarita, some au jus for dipping the tacos, and some homemade guacamole. They were outstanding!!! I would definitely do this again!

Attachments

• IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1028.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1030.jpg
    IMG_1030.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1032.jpg
    IMG_1032.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1037.jpg
    IMG_1037.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1039.jpg
    IMG_1039.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1040.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1041.jpg
    IMG_1041.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1042.jpg
    IMG_1042.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 36

mr_whipple

Smoking Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
I've never had or done the birria style at all, but you had me at "after a couple beers" so maybe I need to get off my butt and try this stuff. That looks killer!

Reactions: MileHiGuy

MileHiGuy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 24, 2019
Denver, Colorado
I've never had or done the birria style at all, but you had me at "after a couple beers" so maybe I need to get off my butt and try this stuff. That looks killer!
I actually had not heard of "birria" before. But it was good. Sometimes goat meat is used instead of beef. I just used a couple of cuts of meat I had in my freezer. I have seen a few posts on here about Birria. Definitely worth checking out!

Reactions: mr_whipple

Latest posts