Smoked Beer Can chickens this weekend with Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gregc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Howdy all,

I smoked, used Mesquite, 3 beer can chickens this weekend. I only took a pic of the finished product but I brined them for about 18 hours, and then rubbed and left them in the refrigerator overnight.I left the salt out of the rub recipe because the chickens were brined with a salt mixture. I smoked them around 240 for about 4 hours, spraying them down with an apple juice/cider vinegar mixture every hour. In the beer can I had 1/2 beer, garlic cloves, and a little of the rub. I plugged the neck of the chicken with onion.

I pulled the chicken meat and made BBQ chicken sandwhiches of it with the excpetion of 2 wings and 2 legs(that was for me to sample)
d070d31c_chickens.jpg
 pretty darn good.

They look awesome
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

OK real good looking chick's Now what beer did you use LOL

Good color on the outside..

Keep up the good smoke, and the first thing you do when smoking is.......

FIND the camera LOL

Good smoking...

Now i've made some purdy darn good beer can chicken in the past but something about that just looks absolutely DIVINE this morning... I've never wanted chicken at 8:45am so bad in my life!

Thanks for the Q! 
points.gif
to ya!

Those turned out great - love the idea of the onion in the neck - bet they were tasty

So what did you do with the other half of the beer
icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks! The other half of the beer?? I poured it out of course. What else would I do with it?
smile.gif

What did you use for a brine?  Have done a few chickies but seems like the rub is useless since the skin is pretty much leather and torn off.  Have been using a Cajun Injector and smoke, it is OK but not as good as I would like it.

What did you use for a brine?  Have done a few chickies but seems like the rub is useless since the skin is pretty much leather and torn off.  Have been using a Cajun Injector and smoke, it is OK but not as good as I would like it.
I always carefully pull the skin up and put rub underneath it, too, wherever I can. It definitely gets into the meat that way.

hello all i'm very new to this whole smoking meat thing and i was just wondering...what do you mean when you say "beer can chicken"?
I'm new to smoking to. Beer Can chicken was my very first smoke. I have done several now and all have been very good. Basically, you take a beer can and inside the can there is 1/2 a beer, garlic cloves, onion, rub or whatever you want and shove it in the chicken. you stand the chicken upright and smoke away. I use "beer can chicken stands" which you can buy at Home depot, Lowes..etc. Google "Beer Can Chicken" and you will come up with detailed instructions or you may be able to find the instrucitons by searching this site.

I don't have the exact recipe of the Brine I used for this batch. I have several recipes I found on the internet. I think my favorite Brine so far was a mix of Salt, Water, and Paprika. I do, however, leave the salt out of the rub recipe because I found that the chicken is a little salty if you use salt for brine and rub.

Looks Good!! I am getting Hungry! I think this weekend I'm gonna try smoking some Turkey Legs. I have not smoked those yet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky