Smoked Beef Tenderloin, Reverse Seared with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

teeznuts

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Central Cali
I know, I know! The beef gods are angry and they're probably plotting my demise. This is a cut that should be cooked hot and fast on the grill but I've been wanting to try it smoked.

Anyway today was my dad's 64th bday and he loves "surf & turf". Last night I called my mom and told her I would handle the "turf" if she would make her tempura shrimp which is dad's favorite. I headed off to Winco and picked up this strip of tenderloin. I've been eyeing these for a while and finally pulled the trigger on one.

97c54e4d_IMGP3614.jpg

Trimmed off the silver skin and some fat then tied it up to give it a more even thickness.

e64c576c_IMGP3615.jpg

731d0cb5_IMGP3616.jpg

Rubbed with some EVOO and seasoned with Pappy's choice seasoning then bagged up in the fridge over night.

e121b9fa_IMGP3618.jpg

3fc4c2bc_IMGP3619.jpg

Brought it out for about 30 minutes to take the chill off then in the MES at 225 with an AMNPS full of Todd's cherry and oak pellets.

90784e62_IMGP3620.jpg

As IT hit 130 I fired up the grill. Once IT was 137 I took it out of the MES and threw it on the grill for 2 minutes top and bottom and 1 minute each side side to get a little sear action going.

d7da3f83_IMGP3624.jpg

75b5a037_IMGP3625.jpg

e1be2aef_IMGP3626.jpg

All done. After a little rest it'll be slicing time.

b3b29b0c_IMGP3628.jpg

Now this is actually over done for my taste but mom and dad don't like rare meat and dad was guest of honor. If it was for me I'd pull it at 127-130 then a quick sear.

09343e73_IMGP3631.jpg

But it was still melt in your mouth tender and had a great smoky taste. Mom and dad actually put theres under the broiler for a minute or two because this was still too rare for them
confused.gif

d3242e85_IMGP3638.jpg

b24f7a6e_IMGP3634.jpg

Smoked tenderloin, tempura shrimp and asparagus with cream horseradish and ploisin(plum sauce and hoisin sauce mixed) for dipping. Yum!!!

aae57bc4_IMGP3639.jpg

I would totally smoke one again. Thanks for looking.

That looks awesome and a good price on the Beef...Ploisin?...Got to try it...JJ

Am I crazy or does that say $25?! That would be $60 here ($10/lb). Nice!

That looks great. Like you, I would prefer it med-rare, but hey, sometimes you gotta sacrifice a little. I'm sure it was still delicious :D 

Awesome looking tenderloin!

We like it rare too, but at that price you could have done two of them.

Really nice lookin' Tenderloin there. Like most I would have mine Med Rare.

My wife on the other hand looked at it almost gagged. No red meat for her. lol

Happy Smokin'

Mike

Better to have it rare than overcook and ruined. Might cut it in half and do a medium for the folks and the other rare.

...Nice job and I am going to have to try this one...looks like the better of both worlds, smoked yet grilled. This method would work on other meats too.
Looks-Great.gif

Last edited:
Great looking tenderloin...that's the same price they show up for here now and then...I smoked one the same way and they are excellent!!! Your meal looks Fantastic and i'm sure Dad was impressed with his birthday dinner. 
thumb1.gif

That is just perfect I want to do one of those but I just can`t justify 10 bucks a lb for any kind of meat....GREAT JOB !  Maybe I will change my attutide one day about that.
drool.gif

Great job on the entire process. Tying it up to make it even is a  really good move.  Man that looks tasty. I love the shrimp and asparagus too 

Thanks to all.

That looks awesome and a good price on the Beef...Ploisin?...Got to try it...JJ
Ya I just take some plum sauce and hoisin and mix them together. i call it ploisin cuz it sounds cool like poison, gets peoples attention.

Am I crazy or does that say $25?! That would be $60 here ($10/lb). Nice!

That looks great. Like you, I would prefer it med-rare, but hey, sometimes you gotta sacrifice a little. I'm sure it was still delicious :D 
Ya it's $5.98 lb here and this cut has been that price for at least 2 years. It's crazy cuz I've paid close to that for a tri-tip in sumer time when there weren't any on sale.

Really nice lookin' Tenderloin there. Like most I would have mine Med Rare.

My wife on the other hand looked at it almost gagged. No red meat for her. lol

Happy Smokin'

Mike
I like mine red and bloody but the wife, the parents and the in-laws all like their meat brown so I compromise. Plus I'm usually outnumbered.
wife.gif

That is just perfect I want to do one of those but I just can`t justify 10 bucks a lb for any kind of meat....GREAT JOB !  Maybe I will change my attutide one day about that.
drool.gif
These were only $5.98 lb which is more than I like to pay for meat but you figure there's no bone to pay for and very little waste. See if they have these out your way.

icon_cool.gif

Now thats one fine looking dinner. I have a b-day coming up and will you cook the same for me and the wife. Awesome Job

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky