Smoked BBQ Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bwagoner

Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
I'm going to attempt to do ribs this weekend and have been thinking about how to do them.

I'm new to this so forgive me if this is common practice, but I haven't seen it talked about on here yet.

Has anyone used their smoker to heat up their BBQ? Does it add any type of smokey flavor to it like the smoke does for the meats? Is it worth it?

I use the smoker to keep the hot wing sauce warm between bastings. I don't baste anything with sauce while I am cooking, I set it on the side so people can add it if they wish, not a bad idea though, even for that purpose. I don't think there would be any reason to "add" smoke flavor to BBQ sauce if the meat has a good smoke flavor that is all you should need. Plus to me liquid smoke is the devil.

A lot of people add smoke flavor to their sauce, for whatever reason; I never have. Actually smoking it is far superior to using liquid smoke - at least, it holds true for everything else. It makes perfect sense for sauces that aren't being used on smoked meat. Wing sauce, pizza sauce, gravy, etc. could probably benefit from some smoke flavor.

In my opinion....properly done BBQ doesn't need much if any sauce. If you want to keep your sauce in the smoker while the ribs are cooking, I don't see any harm in it. I'd maybe put it in the last hour or so though. If it sits in there for the full cook, it'll probably cook down and the sugars in it will get all nasty in hard. But since I've never actually done it, I don't know.

Over on the left there is a link to Jeff's 5-Day ecourse along with a bunch of "how to" articles. Check those out if you need some help with the cook. Lots of folks on here willing to help out too.

Please stop into "roll call" and tell us a little about yourself, experience, cooker, etc. Welcome to the SMF!

I've never tried it with BBQ sauce, but heat up pork and beans on the smoker while I'm making rib's. Leave the lid off and stir them once in a while. It does add a lot of flavor to them. Couldn't hurt to try with sauce.

Would you please stop into Roll Call and introduce yourself and we can give you a big welcome that we like to give new members. Now for your sauce I have used the burner on my regular grill but not on my smoker for I don't want to open the smoker that many times.

I wouldn't smoke store bought sauce. It usually already has liquid smoke in it.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

If you're whipping up a homemade sauce or throwing some stuff together for a glaze you can add some of the juice from the foiling stage. (If you foil that is.
icon_mrgreen.gif
) It usually has a pretty smoky flavor.

Dave

I think it's a great idea! BUTT, don't leave the sauce in there too long cause it will dry out. I'm thinking 2 hours would be good.
points.gif
for the idea!

beard

A great way to get a nice smokey flavor into your BBQ sauce is to throw the veggies you would use to make the sauce with (onions, jalapeno's, garlic, tomato, ect. into the smoker for a couple of hours. Then use them to make your sauce. I have done this with just the Jalapeno's and it is realy, realy good!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

If you want a little "smoky" kick to your storebought or home made sauce (go for the home made!!) try adding chipotle; either dried ground chipotle or chipotles in adobo sauce. A chipotle is simply a smoked jalapeno... the dried version you can find whole or ground (I prefer the whole and grind my own as needed) and the chipotle in adobo generally is found in a small can. I LOVE the adobo sauce from the canned version on just about anything and everything (try a little in your next Bloody Mary!) It (adobo sauce) has a mild kick to it and because of the smoked jalapeno it has a really nice smokiness to it. you can adjust the heat of your sauce by adding just a bit of adobo sauce to a lot of the adobo sauce and for more heat chop up one or two of the chipotles and add it in too!

Another option is smoked paprika...no heat, but excellent smoked flavor...also gives your sauce a nice color. The bes source I have for the absolute best smoked spanish paprika (and really any spices for that matter) is Penzey's - if you have only ever bought your spices at the local grocery, you will be BLOWN away by fresh, fragrant and flavorful spices from Penzeys.

Lots of great ideas here!

My favorite sauce is Dreamland Ribs sauce out of Tuscaloosa AL (and other lesser locations
tongue.gif
). Back in the early days I'm pretty sure they added drippings to the sauce but now that they are mass producing it I guess they can't do that or something else changed.

Anyway, I've found that if I put it in the smoker to get heated up good during the last half hour or so of foiling, and then letting it pick up the drips from the last hour of non-foiling that it gets much better. Like in the old days. It goes from "good enough to drink from the bottle" to "I drank that one and need another bottle!".

And then since your sauce is right in there with everything else, it's easy to brush it on the last half hour to get a nice coating. It has very little sugar, so you would have to work to burn it.

Note to self: pick up some ribs tomorrow....
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

Welcome to the SMF my friend. I see you've gotten some good replies on your qestion about BBQ sauce. I moved your thread to roll call, so everyone can give you a warm welcome.

[font=&quot][/font]

[font=&quot]Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.[/font]

[font=&quot]For Those of you New to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.[/font]
[font=&quot]Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourse[/font]

[font=&quot]I Would Highly Suggest Reading these posts on Food Safety by bbally. [/font]

[font=&quot]This thread will tell you basically everything you need to know and the man explaining it is[/font]
[font=&quot]both a ServSafe Instructor and a HACCP Instructor.[/font]
[font=&quot]http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...t=72852&page=2[/font]

[font=&quot]http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=86620[/font]

[font=&quot]Here you can get the 2009 USDA Food Safety Guide from his site.[/font]
[font=&quot]http://prochefblog.com/public_pics/f...09foodcode.pdf[/font]

[font=&quot]How to post Qview to Forum:[/font]

[font=&quot]When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...[/font]

[font=&quot]Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...[/font]

[font=&quot]Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.[/font]

[font=&quot][/font]

[font=&quot]For Step By Step Instructions On Posting Qview Check Out This Tutorial[/font]

[font=&quot]http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=82034[/font]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky