Smoked Bavette Steak Stuffed W Cheese, Spinach, Artichokes, & Sun Dried Tomatoes (W/Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Once again this group has inspired me to come up with yet another creative, over-the-top dish, and it was truly spectacular. To be honest though, I have no idea what prompted me to go this route, it just kinda happened. This one goes out to a couple of great people here. First is a fairly new friend Anne A annewaldron who I have had the pleasure of sharing a bunch of creative ideas with. Another is a new friend with whom I've covered a lot of ground recently where food is concerned. That would be Mariko O Omnivore . There will also be references to my good friend Joe xray xray who I got the idea for to do one of the sides, and got the dressing recipe from.

Decided I wanted to try grilled Romaine lettuce per Joe. Got it prepped and ready to go.
008.jpg

Got the Bavette steak out of the freezer
009.jpg

Cut up some artichoke hearts and sun dried tomatoes
010.jpg

Put those in a pan with some fresh baby spinach and a drizzle of my garlic infused olive oil
011.jpg

Lay out the steak and season with my beef rub. I'm still loving this stuff!!
012.jpg

Lay down some Swiss cheese, the spinach, artichoke hearts, and sun dried tomatoes
013.jpg

Add another layer of Swiss cheese
014.jpg

Now for the fun part. I want to tie this thing off so all the goodies stay inside then add more of the beef rub. The steak is 1# so with all the goodies, it's close to 2# total weight
015.jpg

Did some long grain wild rice in the rice steamer then added some fresh broccoli
016.jpg

Steak on the Rec Tec
017.jpg

Romaine lettuce on the grill.
019.jpg

Add the Velveeta cheese sauce to the rice and broccoli
020.jpg

Steak done. Time to cut the umbilical cords, slice the steak, and hope for the best. Got my fingers crossed that this is not an ungodly mess
021.jpg

Oh my God....I think I've died and gone to Heaven. This is simply gorgeous!!
022.jpg

Money shot: Romaine lettuce drizzled with Joe's dressing he posted for his 4-bean salad, broccoli & cheddar rice, and that perfectly cooked stuffed steak. Sorry for the messy slice on the left. I just couldn't get the melted cheesy goodness to stay put
023.jpg

Well, this was my throw-together dinner for Thursday night :emoji_laughing: Don't know that it rivals what John SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan posted, but it sure was good!! Honestly, if ever there was a meal I created that had what I'd consider 5-star flavors, this is it!! All of the flavors and textures melded together to form an absolutely perfect balance. Add to that the complexity of the beef rub this was off the charts!! Presentation was almost there but flavor was THERE!! We both sat there all through dinner mumbling "oh God this is so good....oh God this is so good". What's really interesting though is that this is another meal that's very easy to make and you'll most likely have everything you need in the pantry or fridge. After dinner I got to thinking this would also be incredibly good made with pork so somebody may want to consider that...with a different rub of course.

Another observation I want to share over and above the post I did earlier in the week. In addition to all the sentiments I shared in that post I've also noticed more and more people tagging other members in their posts. I know I'm guilty of it :emoji_wink: There is a reason for it on my end and I'm willing to bet that it's the same for other people. The tags are getting done to share with everybody else where the inspiration came from for what is being posted. That's what prompted me to make the comment in my previous post that "we are all feeding off of each other for ideas and inspiration". It used to be rare that you saw anybody get tagged because it was their idea that was being showcased. Now you see it's very commonplace. Personally, I like that because if I missed the inspiring post but like what I'm seeing now, it gives me a place to start searching out the original.

Wonder what I'll throw together tonight,
Robert

Hell yeah Robert that looks outstanding! I swear you come up with the most crazy off the wall ideas and turn them into beautiful restaurant looking dishes! I would gladly down a plate of that and go back for seconds.

Cant say I have ever seen bavette steak around here...might be one of those CPB specialties that I will have to try out one day. Similar to a flank or skirt steak?

Also I have never thought of grilling lettuce...it looks great though. What type of flavor do you get off of it?

LIKE!

A++ for you! That looks amazing. Gonna steal this one. I've done the grilled romaine before. I think it's pretty delicious.

Looks dang good! Interested in what the grilled romaine was like also. Curious if you have dreams about what you make...grill it and they will come! Lol

Big like!
And next from Robert's restaurant is...
Ryan

Out of the park again Robert! The meal looks like it came from a 5 star restaurant.

Thank you Steve. I guess I'm batting about .205 now :emoji_wink: This one was a lot of fun, both to make and to eat. I'll be doing this one again!!

Robert

Hell yeah Robert that looks outstanding! I swear you come up with the most crazy off the wall ideas and turn them into beautiful restaurant looking dishes! I would gladly down a plate of that and go back for seconds.

Thank you John. I guess I've kinda gotten lucky a couple times recently and things actually came out the way I'd hoped they would....but I've never worked in a restaurant and have no desire whatsoever to.

Cant say I have ever seen bavette steak around here...might be one of those CPB specialties that I will have to try out one day. Similar to a flank or skirt steak?

I'd never even heard of a Bavette steak until it was recommended by my CPB sales manager. Yes, it's similar to flank and skirt but a bit more tender, less grainy, and a deeper beef flavor. We love them and they can be used exactly as a flank or skirt but will also stand alone as a really good steak. I'm gonna cut one in half soon and make Chicken Fried Steak with it

Also I have never thought of grilling lettuce...it looks great though. What type of flavor do you get off of it?

It's kind of interesting and I was pleasantly surprised. You get a nice char flavor on the outside and the lettuce softens a bit but the inside, although warm and tasty, still has a great "fresh lettuce" texture. Tracy has requested (demanded??) that this become a regular menu item around here. Ya gotta try Joe's dressing though!!

Robert

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
A++ for you! That looks amazing. Gonna steal this one. I've done the grilled romaine before. I think it's pretty delicious.

I keep telling people that you can't steal what's freely given :emoji_wink: The inspiration for this and a bunch of previous meals came from this forum so it's only the right thing to do by giving back and hope that somebody finds it something they'd like to make. There is no higher honor.

Robert

Reactions: TNJAKE
Looks dang good! Interested in what the grilled romaine was like also. Curious if you have dreams about what you make...grill it and they will come! Lol

The lowdown on the grilled Romaine is answered to a point in my response to John above. I don't really dream about food....but thoughts do cross my mind on occasion :emoji_astonished: In all honesty, I spend a lot of time driving for work and that's when I do my thinking about what to put together next time.

Big like!

Thank you Ryan!! Very much appreciated.

And next from Robert's restaurant is...

There ain't no telling but I'll try not to disappoint you :emoji_wink:

I'm kinda wondering too....
Robert

Stunning looking meal you got there, Robert!! There's an idea or two there for my bavette steaks but I doubt I'll get anything close to that....it just looks awesome all the way around.

I'm a big fan of grilling romaine lettuce as you probably know. It makes a great bed for when you're building a salad but also stands up well as a side dish. Another thing is, that it's finished before the steak is done resting. A lot of times it's just sprayed with olive oil, salt and pepper...grilled then fresh lemon squeezed over it! YUM

Like!!

Robert that is an amazing combo cooked perfectly. Saving this one to make as it hits not only my, but many of my wife’s flavor favs.

This looks fantastic, Robert! Wonderful color on that steak - didn't take much time for you to dial in the Rec Tec! I bet that filling was so good with the beefy bavette.

Love the grilled romaine too. I've ordered it in restaurants and never thought to make it at home. Definitely have to do this next time I grill a hunk of meat.

Beautiful meal! A great combo of ingredients in the beef.
A Sirloin Bavette is better known in the Meat and Restaurant Biz, as Sirloin or Beef Flap-Meat, IMPS/NAMP #185A. It is part of the lower Sirloin Primal. It averages 1 pound and is similar to Flank or Skirt Steak but more tender and is BEEFIER in flavor. Which, by the way, makes Flap-Meat the, " Secret Beef Cut " in places that sell $20+ Hamburgers made with their, Special Secret Blend of Beef Cuts!...JJ

Reactions: sawhorseray
lol, I was lost right off the bat with Bavett, but recognized when I saw it on the board.
That sure came out nice Robert, thanks for sharing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky