Smoked Baby Back Ribs w/ qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rare2medium

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 31, 2016
SouthEast PA
I've made probably almost a dozen rack of ribs since last year when I started smoking but I never posted any of them on SMF.  A friend (coworker) of mine recently got an MES 40 and will probably be a new SMF member soon so I thought I'd post this for his reading.

Start off with peeling back the membrane on the rib's underside after blotting dry. Making a slit along a bone to make an edge you can grab with a paper towel I've found helps. I like cutting my rack into serving sizes, typically either 2 or 3 per rack. 

Apply rub to all sides of the ribs. Jeff Phillip's rub is my go-to rub but there are others out there, and other variations like Asian rub / sauce. If you don't want to put the ribs directly on the wire grate in the smoker you can do something like putting them on a wire rack over top of a $1 store foil pan to catch the drippings. If you do you want to make sure the smoke can get underneath the meat and not have them sitting on the bottom of the foil pan.

Into the smoker at about 230F for 3 hours of cooking with smoke (3-2-1 method). My favorite wood for ribs is Hickory. If you don't have an Amazen pellet smoker tray you should probably be checking your smoker ever 25 minutes give-or-take to add more pellets to keep the smoke going.

After 3 hours, take the ribs out of the smoker. Get some heavy duty foil and put each rib section on it for wrapping. I like to squirt some Parkay margarine and basic BBQ sauce on each side and brush it over to make a wet coating. Then I wrap them bone side down and with foil closures up. After wrapped up put them back in the smoker for 2 hours to steam then in the foil.

After the 2 hours if you are making them for eating right away I would unwrap them and put them back in the smoker for another hour to firm them up. If this is not for an immediate meal, let them rest and cool and pack them away either in the frig or freezer for a later meal and reheat them at that time. Enjoy.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky