Smoked Apricot Jam with Cherries soaked in Kirsch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

squirrel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 7, 2010
augusta ga
Howdy all!

This is one of my all time favorite things to make. I've made it many times and it is a luscious addition to smoked pork. I changed up my recipe a little this year because I cold smoked the apricots for 3 hours. I used my A-Maze-N smoker using apple dust. Apricots have a thin skin and take well to smoking. I bit in to one after smoking and could definitely taste a mild smoke flavor. After it was prepared you still get a hint of richness which I contribute to the smoke. The addition of the Kirsch soaked cherries takes it to a whole new level.

I will tell you this is not a cheap thing to make. These cherries are very expensive at 25.00 a jar and I used two jars in this batch! But because you use a small amount either as a glaze for pork or better yet to serve with the finished smoked pork, it's just incredible. This is something I give as gifts during the holidays too. My friends ask for it specifically.

I started with 4 lbs. of beautiful apricots I purchased from the farmer's market. I left the skins on, did a cold smoke for 3 hours then cut them into chunks.

07a1b549_IMG_5642.jpg

I drained my two jars of cherries and added them to the mix, put them on the stove to start a boil. I added a pinch of salt and scraped the seeds from a vanilla bean, added the seeds and then the whole pod to the mix.

3d825d7f_IMG_5691.jpg

6edb53c7_IMG_5689.jpg

75897fe4_IMG_5695.jpg

I added two packages of pectin to the mix and brought it to a rolling boil. I then added 7 cups of sugar, stirred constantly for a couple of minutes. It's done!

fe771b42_IMG_5698.jpg

I sterilized my jars in a water bath.

a93241a2_IMG_5700.jpg

Then I filled the jars, returned to the bath for ten minutes. It's all done. It is a savory sweet that adds so much to a smoked pork!

f3ddf016_IMG_5701.jpg

Reactions: mballi3011
Howdy all!

This is one of my all time favorite things to make. I've made it many times and it is a luscious addition to smoked pork. I changed up my recipe a little this year because I cold smoked the apricots for 3 hours. I used my A-Maze-N smoker using apple dust. Apricots have a thin skin and take well to smoking. I bit in to one after smoking and could definitely taste a mild smoke flavor. After it was prepared you still get a hint of richness which I contribute to the smoke. The addition of the Kirsch soaked cherries takes it to a whole new level.

I will tell you this is not a cheap thing to make. These cherries are very expensive at 25.00 a jar and I used two jars in this batch! But because you use a small amount either as a glaze for pork or better yet to serve with the finished smoked pork, it's just incredible. This is something I give as gifts during the holidays too. My friends ask for it specifically.

I started with 4 lbs. of beautiful apricots I purchased from the farmer's market. I left the skins on, did a cold smoke for 3 hours then cut them into chunks.

07a1b549_IMG_5642.jpg

I drained my two jars of cherries and added them to the mix, put them on the stove to start a boil. I added a pinch of salt and scraped the seeds from a vanilla bean, added the seeds and then the whole pod to the mix.

3d825d7f_IMG_5691.jpg

6edb53c7_IMG_5689.jpg

75897fe4_IMG_5695.jpg

I added two packages of pectin to the mix and brought it to a rolling boil. I then added 7 cups of sugar, stirred constantly for a couple of minutes. It's done!

fe771b42_IMG_5698.jpg

I sterilized my jars in a water bath.

a93241a2_IMG_5700.jpg

Then I filled the jars, returned to the bath for ten minutes. It's all done. It is a savory sweet that adds so much to a smoked pork!

f3ddf016_IMG_5701.jpg
That looks killer! Expensive but killer!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Reactions: mballi3011
I am going to have to recheck this thread when i get to work monday.  My current browser doesn't let me see full pics (and having trouble downloading another)  Anyway, thats neither here nor there. Let me just say:

HOLY MACKAREL!

The description sounds amazing and the parts of the pics I can view are mouthwatering!

As you have proven over and over, you are quite talented

cool.gif

Now this looks awesome there cheryl. You are still coming up with some of theses off the wall recipes for sure. I don't know where you are getting theses recipes but I want that book.

Thank you so much MrsB! and the rest of you guys! This is a special treat that I enjoy offering to friends and family. I forgot to mention that you do pull the vanilla bean out when it's done. And I got 13 jars, so the total cost is just under $6 a jar. Not too bad considering I give them as gifts! I do keep a few for my own pleasure and I'll make about two more batches. I have also done this with peaches and the cherries as well as pineapple and the cherries!

Wow that looks outstanding and I'll bet it all goes to good use!!!!!!!!

Mark - this is my very own recipe. I generally do make up my recipes, but will give credit to any particular one I'm stealing from! Maybe I should write a book, Crazy Woman Smokes. Sounds good to me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky