Smoked And Cured Chix Thigs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ronp

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 27, 2008
I haven't done these for a couple of weeks. Man, I really miss them I could eat them every night and are healthy.

They were on sale for .79 a pound.

The start.

They are defrosting now and in the morning I will dry cure with Tenderquik and smoke tomorrow night.

I put Bubba's favorite marinade
icon_wink.gif
with lemon pepper and granulated garlic, let them set for a while to dry a bit.

In the MES with a drip pan of Chix stock. I used hickory and mesquite with a little lump at 190' for a bit then kicked it up to 275' for the finish.

All done, I had one right away, yum.
They were great as usual.

The BONUS? A nice smokey chicken stock for soup which I will probably use for my wild rice smoked chicken soup with mushrooms.

Thanks for watching.

It looks delicious Ron. I like how you started out at a relatively low temp then kicked it up. It does wonders for any type of meat in my opinion(within the bounds of safety).

Thanks for sharing,

Tom

That's some good looking chicken, Ron. Thanks for the Qview.

Just rub TQ on the surfaces and put in a zip lock for 4 - 8 hours. 1 TBS per pound, then rince before smoking.

That's really good for sure.

Another bonus is the bones. Smoked chicken bones, meat scraps and skin in a pressure cooker for 40 min. will yield some might fine smoked chicken stock.

They look great Ron !!! Love the crispy looking skin .
Is the TQ just for flavor , or a safety buffer so you don't have
to worry about over cooking and drying out the chix ?

Thanks.
It does add a nice flavor and also seem moister and a different texture.

Here is a comparison I did awhile ago. On the right uncured, left cured, same smoke time, same everthing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky