Smoked And Cured Chix Thigs

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by ronp, Mar 8, 2009.

1. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I haven't done these for a couple of weeks. Man, I really miss them I could eat them every night and are healthy.

They were on sale for .79 a pound.

The start.

They are defrosting now and in the morning I will dry cure with Tenderquik and smoke tomorrow night.

I put Bubba's favorite marinade [​IMG] with lemon pepper and granulated garlic, let them set for a while to dry a bit.

In the MES with a drip pan of Chix stock. I used hickory and mesquite with a little lump at 190' for a bit then kicked it up to 275' for the finish.

All done, I had one right away, yum.
    They were great as usual.

The BONUS? A nice smokey chicken stock for soup which I will probably use for my wild rice smoked chicken soup with mushrooms.

Thanks for watching.

2. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

looks great Ron

3. m1tanker78

m1tanker78 Meat Mopper

It looks delicious Ron. I like how you started out at a relatively low temp then kicked it up. It does wonders for any type of meat in my opinion(within the bounds of safety).

Thanks for sharing,

Tom

4. cman95

cman95 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Looks mighty tasty ron!!

5. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That's some good looking chicken, Ron. Thanks for the Qview.

6. rw willy

rw willy Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Nice thighs. I'd like to try that sometime. I imagine the thighs don't require you to inject, just soak?

7. ronp

Just rub TQ on the surfaces and put in a zip lock for 4 - 8 hours. 1 TBS per pound, then rince before smoking.

8. scubadoo97

scubadoo97 Smoking Fanatic

That's really good for sure.

Another bonus is the bones. Smoked chicken bones, meat scraps and skin in a pressure cooker for 40 min. will yield some might fine smoked chicken stock.

9. 1894

1894 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

They look great Ron !!! Love the crispy looking skin .
    Is the TQ just for flavor , or a safety buffer so you don't have
    to worry about over cooking and drying out the chix ?

10. bigtrain74

bigtrain74 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thanks Ron... I needed a healthier smoke idea after the fattie I ate this morning...

11. ronp

Thanks.
    It does add a nice flavor and also seem moister and a different texture.

Here is a comparison I did awhile ago. On the right uncured, left cured, same smoke time, same everthing.