smoked achiote chix

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chefrob

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 13, 2009
az
traditionaly grilled......now smoked.

here are the 1/2s marinated

after 2 hours.....

after 3 hours ....now to grub down with torillas, rice and beans!

Very impressive smoke and Q too. Great to see someone using Achiote paste, it's an old tradition, but still tasty. Points to you for using achiote on the chix.
For the very few that don't know about achiote; Achiote paste, also known as bija or bijol in Spanish, adds an authentic flavor and bright yellow color to the cuisine of Cuba, Mexico and Central America. This paste contains annatto seed, garlic, vinegar, iodized salt and spices.

Sweet chef.Man,i was looking forward to my internet plate-but that meat is fine with me.......

My bro loves the anchiote...............Strange for a english/scotish/german guy,but hey-whatever folk like...I like it toooo

We really like archiotes here too. Now that chicken really looks good. Is the sauce you put on them thick or what cause you put it on for the whole smoke?

As Rich pointed out, it is really nice to see other folks using achiote too. It is a great seasoning that adds not only color, but a mild mellow flavor to your food. You've really done well with your chicken! Definite points
points.gif

Very cool - those look great and yet another great idea!

it is a marinade that i made in a blender.....
1 small brick of achiote paste
1 small onion chp
5 cloves garlic
2 limes juiced
1/4 c. olive oil
2 jalepenos seeded
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 t. cumin
1 T. mexican oregano
salt/pepper to taste
1/4 - 1/2 c water to enable blending

blend until smooth and thick enough to stick on meat. work marinade under skin and cover for a least one hour.
this is also good on pork....notice the CSRs on the top rack.......those are for tamales, but that is another thread.

remember, achiote is not a strong pronounced flavor but a suble earthy note and that is why i add the other ingredients for flavor. before adding to any meat, taste it for salt and other seasonings.

Those Birds Look Great...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks for the Recipe...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky