Smoked a (test) pig over the weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If that was the Test, the full run will be outstanding...Definitely add Rub and Aromatics, Fresh Herbs, Garlic, Onions, Carrots and Celery, maybe some Chile Peppers and Potatoes. All a Great addition as they add Flavor and even Taste good if you wish to eat them...JJ

Thanks for all the feedback. I may add some rub to the inside of the pig we do this weekend. I like the presentation of the pig on the smoker racer-style but I may clear out around the ribs and stiff some sliced peppers/onions in the cavity.
Nice job on little porky there. Did you build your pit? Am interested in a small reverse flow trailer rig. Would love more rig info.
Thanks DWS. The smoker was built by a local guy, Cookers by Kev. Reverse flow, pulls straight and easy. The 120 gallon size give me the option to cook for 3 or 63 people and not feel like I have too much or too little real estate. When I kick off my catering on a more steady basis, I'm getting a 250 made with a warming box.

If that was the Test, the full run will be outstanding...Definitely add Rub and Aromatics, Fresh Herbs, Garlic, Onions, Carrots and Celery, maybe some Chile Peppers and Potatoes. All a Great addition as they add Flavor and even Taste good if you wish to eat them...JJ
Chef, do you sew the cavity closed when you add the veggies or put them in a pan under the cavity?

Check out grillinfools... they helped me a whole lot, are local to my area (St. Louis), and have done a couple pigs.

I've done two.  One with the skin on (90lbs), and one with the skin removed (78lbs), both racer style.

The skin removed was the better of the two by far.  It reduces the cook time, allows your rub to actually work on the meat, and allows access to the meat for the smoke and for your apple juice spritz during the cook to keep it moist.  With the skin on, it's tough to inject enough AND gain access to the meat with your rub.  There is a compromise (partially skin, add rub, replace skin) but I do not have experience with that.

I also stuffed the cavity with high quality salsiccia and chorizo and apples ... this mix was removed before pulling and may have been just as popular as the pig.  The cavity was not sewn shut, but the pig was rolled onto the foil very carefully.  

The wood is important, trust your heat but verify it's working, drink lots of beer with lots of friends as it's cooking.

Good luck.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
that pig looks great! a friend wants me to cook one for his housewarming party in another month or 2...i was nervous but this makes me feel better. So at 250-275 you cooked the whole thing in 6 hours? that's awesome!

i've done a pig in the caja china and it only took 3 hours..figured smoker would be much longer

that pig looks great! a friend wants me to cook one for his housewarming party in another month or 2...i was nervous but this makes me feel better. So at 250-275 you cooked the whole thing in 6 hours? that's awesome!

i've done a pig in the caja china and it only took 3 hours..figured smoker would be much longer

I was really surprised at the time some I was guess it was cooking in the 275 range. I'm planning for at least 12 hours on the 80 pounder this weekend.

Pop used to have a yearly pig roast, he split the hogs before smoking 'em but one year he smoked a piglet for a center piece for Mom. Just a suggestion, I know you said this was a no frills test but............ if you plan on doing the fruit in its mouth, put a spacer in its mouth while cooking. Pop used a 4x4 piece of wood. I cooked a memorial day pig in the ground once and forgot about the spacer so no fruits. Lots of people mentioned it should have had fruit in its mouth.

Your pig looks good, crispy skin is the bestest part!

Looks like you've got a handle on the smokin part. BTW nice lookin pit too. So if I have it correct, you were blowing smoke up his..... wait this is a family site.

Last edited:
Beautiful pig, great smoker!  Congrats on a job well done, and good luck on the gig! 
icon14.gif

i must ask a question why is it that when i smoke a picnic or butt it will take 10 hours or more to get up to 200 degrees and this 38 pound pig only took a little over 6 hours .did you have a time when the internal temperature stalled ? 

Last edited:
It was 38.5 pounds butchered. I figured that it would feed 15-20 people. I donated most of the meat to some area homeless families.
superjob.gif

I work with a local mobile food bank called Mission of Hope ( stoppinghunger.org ) (I know a shameless plug), So I see a lot of the need out there. Glad to hear that there are others out there doing the same..

William

i must ask a question why is it that when i smoke a picnic or butt it will take 10 hours or more to get up to 200 degrees and this 38 pound pig only took a little over 6 hours .did you have a time when the internal temperature stalled ? 
What temp are you cooking your picnics? I was running solidly at 275, I didn't put the probe in until the 4 hour mark and the meat in 3 of the five probe spots was already above 170 so I really didnt have a stall.

I have done  butts at 225 and it has taken FOREVER and to be honest, there was no difference in taste over the ones I did at 275. The main advantage, for me, at doing them ultra low is that it gives me more time to sit around the smoker with my friends and burn cigars.

i dont have an answer for this...i've done butts at 225 for 10-16 hours and whole pig in a caja china which probably cooks between 400-500 in 3 hours...meat comes out juicy in both. Meat is a mystery. But if you smoke your buts at a higher temp you'll pull through the stall quicker.

i smoke my picnics at 225-230 and the stall happens around the 150-155 mark but i went to a drag racing weekend recently and smoked 3 boned and rolled pork shoulders i wrapped them in foil at 145 degrees and i found they went straight through the stall temps up to the magic 200 and they were very juicy after resting for an hour,i have done quite a lot of research and i believe it is due to the meat evaporating moisture which in turn is cooling the meat just like sweat cools your skin when it evaporates off, do you think possibly your pig cooked quickly because it still had the skin on which reduces evaporation and helps stop the stall  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky