Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

toolmaker1045

Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
When using the 3-2-1 method how long do you add wood to the smoker. for the first3 hr or during the whole process.

Thanks

Toolmaker1045

Accroding jeffs 5 day e course. You add smoke for the first 3 hours. Wrap in foil for the next 2 hours. I don't see smoke working if its wrapped in foil. Then you take it out of foil the following hour just to firm it up a bit. So I'm thinking smoke on this hour won't really do anything. But I'm no expert and in fact have only bern doing this for a month. I did the 3-2-1 method last weekend with beef ribs and did not add smoke besides in the first 3 hour step..

Yes, you should only smoke for the first couple of hours. After that, you run the risk of over smoking what ever you are cooking on the outside -possibly to the point of making it taste sour if you smoke too long. Once meat cooks on the outside, there is not going to be much in the way of smoke penetration deeper in afterwards.  

Last edited:
I believe I have seen that the optimum temperature for smoke absorption is 100 to 140 degrees. Everything above has diminished returns. That's why you don't necessarily need smoke for an entire cook, and it won't permeate foil.

Usually that last hour on the 3 2 1 is used for drying and firming the meat, its also the time tp slap on that sauce if you are using any.

More meat is ruined by too much smoke that from not enough.

Last edited:
  What he said...
yeahthat.gif

Mike

I smoke my ribs the whole time - usually with oak - & they are never over smoked or sour?? tasting.  YMMV of course but think about all the people out there cooking ribs with stick burners 
wink.gif

I believe I have seen that the optimum temperature for smoke absorption is 100 to 140 degrees. Everything above has diminished returns. That's why you don't necessarily need smoke for an entire cook, and it won't permeate foil.

Usually that last hour on the 3 2 1 is used for drying and firming the meat, its also the time tp slap on that sauce if you are using any.

More meat is ruined by too much smoke that from not enough.
Yup - you won't get much penetration but the smoke will continue to build up on the outside the whole time it is in the smoke... 

I have now done 3 smokes of spare ribs, so I am still pretty new to this.

The first smoke, trial run for the wife and I , I added hickory lumps during the whole process - using 3-2-1. My wife thought they had way too much a smoke flavor, so I changed to just adding the hickory lumps during the first couple of hours. They seem to come out perfect at least for us, doing it this way. Individual tastes vary of course.

Yes, you should only smoke for the first couple of hours. After that, you run the risk of over smoking what ever you are cooking on the outside -possibly to the point of making it taste sour if you smoke too long. Once meat cooks on the outside, there is not going to be much in the way of smoke penetration deeper in afterwards.  
 That of course depends on the wood you are using.  Once wrapped in foil, no real need to keep on smoking, so the 3 hour time seems appropriate.

When using the 3-2-1 method how long do you add wood to the smoker. for the first3 hr or during the whole process.

Thanks

Toolmaker1045
Experience here will be your best teacher.  Not knowing the smoking details such as type of wood, smoke color and density along with your personal desired smoke flavor, it would be difficult to tell you how long you should smoke a product.  Take good notes and before long you will be answering your own questions.

Tom

I have to echo there are many factors. When I first started smoking with my Bradley I used their puck system. Three hours of smoke would have made the ribs way over smoked for my tastes. I started using an A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) and I get a thinner lighter smoke and three hours of smoke gives a nice smoke flavour. So, I agree it depends on your tastes and the wood type, smoke density and your taste.

With the Bradley pucks, I started with 1 hour smoke on everything and then increased if that was not enough with the theory that undersmoked tastes better than oversmoked.

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky