smoke time on a butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shriv

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
S Dakota
I'm smoking a couple butts for the holidays and am going to get 15 inches of snow in the process. I may need to push the smoker in the gargae if it gets bad. How many hours do you guys actually have the smoke on the meat. Mine usually takes 22 hours and I was thinking of cutting off the smoke after about 10 hours and then just slow cook it. Any thoughts?
shriv

No need to smoke after 160F. Double wrap in foil and you can finish in the oven till internal temp hits 190-205.

I usually allow about 1.5 hours per pound and then a little more for the dreaded stall so depending on the size of your butts you can adjust to your liking and don't forget about the resting time also. At least an hour in the cooler.

When I'm smoking on the GOSM, I don't usually worry about adding wood chunks after four or five hours.

If I'm using the drum....I add a few chunks in the pile of briquettes and when they are gone...they are gone.

How big are your butts? What kind of smoker are you using?
What temp are you cooking at?

I agree with Chubbs....if it's snowing that bad, think about finishing them in the oven if you want to.

I always plan on 2 hours per pound to be safe. I take em to 195-200 degrees internal, then foil the butt, and toss it in the cooler for a few hours.

As for moving it to the oven, I dont do it. "if it starts on the smoker it finishes on the smoker".
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Thanks. I smoke at 240 degrees and it a good 1.5 hrs per pound usually apple wood with smoke hichory early. I kind of thought once it started to build a good crust I should cut off the smoke. I can keep the smoke on easy for 10 hours and then just keep mopping it to build the bark. I don't think the smoke penetrates to the meat through a heavy bark. True?
Merry Christmas
shriv

Normally meat takes on no more smoke, internally, after it reaches 140º. It will continue to take on surface smoke as long as it is on the smoker. I usually just start cutting back after I wrap it.

The smoke ring will stop forming at 140 but the meat will take in smoke as long as it is applied

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=61546

Some people apply smoke a few hours, some apply smoke and foil at 165 at that point there is no use in adding any more smoke, others will apply smoke through the entire smoke. Its a matter of taste and personal preferences

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky