• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoke temp problem

Adamrm22

Joined Dec 9, 2020
Hi guys, i have a problem with my smoker, i got an inkbird thermometer i put the probe on the grate level it shows me like 250 degree but on the gauge temp shows 170 degree.
So guys what do you think, i tried with 3 thermometers on the gauge but always the same results.
Here is the photos of my own built smoker.
Thanks

Attachments

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
what Jake said, my pitboss is the same way grill temp is always higher then dome temp.

SFLsmkr1

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
X3
what jake and jim said.

The dome/lid temp dials are pretty useless.

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
Is it a high quality thermometer ?? Is it adjustable ?? Did you check it in boiling water before install ?? Have you checked all your other therms in boiling water for accuracy ??

Adamrm22

Joined Dec 9, 2020
Is it a high quality thermometer ?? Is it adjustable ?? Did you check it in boiling water before install ?? Have you checked all your other therms in boiling water for accuracy ??
Idk if it is high quality but i tried them in boilling water it shows 100 celsius three of them.

TNJAKE

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 26, 2019
I'd say his dome therm is off for sure. I have Tel Tru's and they normally read higher than the grate which is the opposite of what he has going on. So I agree. Needs to get that checked or adjusted

bill1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2015
Judging from your unit, the heat enters down low on the left and exits at the middle on the right. Normally heat rises but I'm not surprised your dome temp could be much lower than on your grate...there's no reason for the heat to take that longer path.

If you have 3 of those dome thermometers, why not mount the 2 others at the same dome height but one far left and one far right. That will also give you some idea of side to side temp distributions. Everyone disses on those little guys but they're cheap and low maintenance and give you lots of data visually in a simple fashion. I put them all over. Granted, the probe(s) that count are the ones in your meat but more measurements never hurt.

SmokinEdge

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Also, give your pit some time to heat up all the way and level out. It’s not ma’s kitchen oven. All that steel needs time to warm through. Then check your temps. A cold pit will be warm on the grate but cold everywhere else. Just throwing that in there.

dernektambura

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 12, 2017
I would install on of the terms on elbow close to entrance in to smoker.. it will help you knowing when to open or close fire chamber to regulate temp inside smoker... lok at the mid point between them two and you'll be very close knowing temp inside the smoker...

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.