Smoke Ring Conundrum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

doughboysigep

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 16, 2015
Delhi, NY
So, I have been smoking for 15+ years or so and I don't think I have ever had the classic smoke ring in any of the meats I've done (brisket, roasts, butts, loin, etc.). Never had a problem with flavor or taste, just no pink ring. Am I missing something or is that "normal". I started with a Sausage Maker electric unit, but have been using MES units for past 8 years. Again, never have had a flavor issue so never really thought much about it.

Reactions: magnus
So, I have been smoking for 15+ years or so and I don't think I have ever had the classic smoke ring in any of the meats I've done (brisket, roasts, butts, loin, etc.). Never had a problem with flavor or taste, just no pink ring. Am I missing something or is that "normal". I started with a Sausage Maker electric unit, but have been using MES units for past 8 years. Again, never have had a flavor issue so never really thought much about it.
Electrics do not produce smoke rings,you need charcoal & wood.You can buy charcoal pellets and use an AMNPS or tube with some wood pellets mixed in
Richie

Reactions: magnus
I've found that if you put the meat in right out of the fridge you get a better smoke ring. I tried it on my last few smokes and it seams to work. I have always brought meat up to about room temp for the last few years and struggle with the same issue you have. Try throwing it on cold
Phil

I never had one in 8 years with my electrics, but I don't miss it, because in my opinion, a Smoke Ring is ALL SHOW !!!

Bear

Have an electric and no one has ever asked about no smoke ring, they just eat and enjoy. The smoke ring adds no flavor just eye candy. Smoke on and don't worry about it.

I've never tried it but I read this here on the forum. If you add bark from your smoking wood ti the chip tray, that will help with a smoke ring. Also, adding pecan shells will do the same thing. I just haven't done either because a smoke ring isn't high priority with me.
Gary

If it taste good and you get the flavor you want why worry about it. :D

Warren

I'm with Warren on this one....Why such a fuss over smoke rings. To me, if it appears it's a plus but the real test is how the food actually tastes. After all, we usually eat food for its taste not its appearance. How often have you eaten something because it looked good but were disappointed in how it tasted? Well anyway, I put more credence in how my food tastes and really don't care for the aesthetics that many high end restaurants try to sell you with their minuscule portions that look more like art than food.

bon appetit everyone,

John

Large kettle grill with legs and wheels and a lid with handle. Great for smoking and grilling.

71Iqgomk-RL._AC_UL320_SR214,320_.jpg

You can smoke then have it for a bbq grill also

It's cool to have a smoke ring & the stick burners have the thickest ones, but as said above there is no difference in flavor. I had a funny experience one time with a guest who said they wouldn't eat my ribs cause they were raw. I said " There not raw they are practically falling off the bone". She said "they are raw, look how pink the meat is on the outside".
I said "I must be a magician cause I can get the inside of the ribs fully cooked, but the out side is still raw". Then I explained the smoke ring to her. I guess it's a natural reaction, when you see pink pork or chicken to think it's not cooked, but she sat down & enjoyed the ribs & ate quite a few!
Al

Reactions: Rings Я Us
I'm with Warren on this one....Why such a fuss over smoke rings. To me, if it appears it's a plus but the real test is how the food actually tastes. After all, we usually eat food for its taste not its appearance. How often have you eaten something because it looked good but were disappointed in how it tasted? Well anyway, I put more credence in how my food tastes and really don't care for the aesthetics that many high end restaurants try to sell you with their minuscule portions that look more like art than food.

bon appetit everyone,

John

Exactly!!
If we want to eat something that Looks Great, we should eat the Burger King Pictures from the Flyer Ads. They always look a thousand times better than the actual Burger, as do ALL the other food ads.

Bear

We do a lot of what I call road side chicken in my area you can find it on almost every corner in the warmer months being done by Fire Co. Church's and private clubs. I have encounter many people that think the chicken isn't done because of seeing pink. All of this chicken is usually cooked over char coal.

Warren

The following link contains some really good science which shows how the smoke ring is formed. If you read it, you might be able to determine what you are lacking with your setup. However, as others have said, I don't think it makes much difference to the final taste.

Here is the link:

Smoke Ring Science

As you will see, electric smokers do not produce the compounds needed to produce the ring.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky