Smoke Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigarm's smokin

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 19, 2007
BigArm MT
Hey Dutch, you got me to thinkin. Yesterday I did some BBQ, (in the rain) in an attempt to keep warm, I raked up some winter bark and wood (we heat the house with wood) and built a fire. The smoke was blue-white, just as any fire with enough air should be. I looked at my smoker and the smoke was thin white, I have never got a blue smoke out of it, its white or clear. The only time I have ever seen the blue smoke was in hunting camp where we had a small wood stove for the tent. I am wondering if I don't have a big enough air intake on my smoker? It is home made, the air intake is about 2 in by 6 in. I keep a small fire with kindling size wood, air intake is usually one half open. Any ideas? Terry

BigArm, if you have billowing white clouds coming out of the smoker, that is way to much smoke. What we're looking for is a thin almost wispy smoke that depending on the light can be white or a light blue/gray color. If you have a homebuilt smoker, chances are you have intake and or exhausts vents that are too small. You might want to ask a couple of the guys that built their smoker what size their vents are and go from there.

I'm thinking 3X6 inch intake with a 4 inch exhaust should give you plenty of circulation and draw if you unit is roughly the size of a 55 gal. drum.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky