Smoke Pistol Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

solarbeat

Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
(about to head over to roll call to introduce myself, but advice needed quickly)

I've just setup an electric ECB with a Smoke Pistol, hoping to get a slightly better experience with an electric smoker, but one problem:

The Smoke Pistol doesn't work... let me clarify, it doesn't *keep* working. I follow the instructions about lighting the cartridge, letting it burn for a while, poking a hole in it, letting it burn longer, and then inserting into the smoke pistol itself. It seems to work for a bit (really well, too), but after a few minutes, it dies down completely, even at high and/or burst. I know the unit itself is "working" (blowing), and the cartridge releases smoke fine by itself (when upright).

Since I'm about to have some family over, I've resorted to scattering the pellets onto the lava rocks/heating element, and crossing my fingers.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the SMF. Often the SmokePistol will stop producing smoke when the pellets fail to drop down. I believe this is why " I know the unit itself is "working" (blowing), and the cartridge releases smoke fine by itself (when upright)". When it is upright, the pellets just keep burning down on themselves. When it is upside down, those pellets have to drop or there will nothing to burn. I have resorted to tapping the cartridge often to keep the pellets dropping down in order to burn and keep it smoking. I hope this helps..

Thanks for the quick advice! I've done what I can to make sure the pellets get down to the bottom, including lifting the cartridge a bit to make sure they move down... It's almost as though the action of putting the cartridge into the unit itself smothers the smoldering pellets. Did you have any initial troubles with it?
icon_sad.gif

The same problems you are experiencing. You might try letting some of the burning pellets fall in but don't dump the whole cartridge at first, then slowly put the entire cartidge in. Good luck, been there done that...

Im new to smoke pistol and having the same issues. Too much babysitting !  I have resorted to taking the smoke bullets apart and starting the ignition pellet with some wood pellets in a bowl with a torch. Once this mixture is smoldering nicely, I pour it into the smoke pistol. I add the rest of the pellets and tube at this point and "burst" for 5 minutes. Seems to work very well. I have on one occasion, replaced their wood pellets with some Traeger pellets. That worked good too. I can say that as much as a PIA it is, it did make outstanding cold smoked salmon. I am looking for other options at this point though. Who has 10 hours to babysit nowadays!

I have the same problem. I also dump some of the pellets in a pan and torch them. Once they are going good put the tube in and add smoking pellets and the rest of the pellets. Take the cap off every now and then and slightly stir the pellets, they will burn better. I do like the results when it is working well, but I'm searching for a better generator. Also dry the pellets in an oven to remove moisture.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky