Smoke House

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

exportgolfer

Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
I just bought a farm that has an old smoke house on it that has not been used in many years. It is wooden on the inside and metal on the outside with an old metal roof. It has hangers in the ceiling and wooden shelves around the inside and a dug out dirt floor. It is about 10 feet by 10 feet. I would like to learn to smoke meat, suasage, venison, pork, chicken, etc. How do I get started and what is the best way to use this smoke house?

Welcome to SMF! Signing on here is a big step in the right direction for getting started. There are a few folks around here who have been building smokehouses, but I don't recall any of them being as big as the one you have inherited. It would help people here help you if you could provide some pictures of what you're going to be working with. Then they can see how it's set up and what kind of firebox you have.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm sure someone will be along before too long who knows more.

Good to have you aboard!
smile.gif

It sounds like your smoke house is an old timer, cept for the metal. From your description, I would use it as a cold smoker, jerky, cheese, etc. With a dirt floor, I would just build a fire on the floor. I'd bet my last dollar, that the way it was always used. You can do like I do, use a propane deep fryer as your heat source, just drill a hole in your wall and get the fuel tank out side the building.
For the pork, chicken, venison, etc, you would want a hot smoke, so unless the building is insulated in some manner, where you could get the heat up to, I would say, at least 200 degrees, I would use a different method of cooker for the hot smoke.
icon_biggrin.gif

Probably NOT a hot smoking building... old wood, wood shelves, it's for cold stuff only like Terry said above. Chicken especially is best done at rather high temps, usually 250-ish or above. Now...maybe a hot style smoker in the middle of that old building...getting double duty from the wood? HMMM...?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky