Smoke house out of Cement Board?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jc03

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Hello, I just finished up building an outdoor bar using galvanized steel studs, sided with cement board and faced with cultured stone. I have a bunch of stone left and am considering making a smoke house. Does anyone see why this wouldn't work? I guess I'm wondering if galvanized steel and whatever is in cement board is safe with food in it? Thanks.

Hello, I just finished up building an outdoor bar using galvanized steel studs, sided with cement board and faced with cultured stone. I have a bunch of stone left and am considering making a smoke house. Does anyone see why this wouldn't work? I guess I'm wondering if galvanized steel and whatever is in cement board is safe with food in it? Thanks.
For the cement board I would contact the company that makes it...It is made up of by products hard telling what chemicals or hardeners they use to make to hold together.It mite not burn but could still give off fumes that are dangerous for your meat.

As for any thing Galvanized I would never use it with cooking.You can use acid to get rid of it but you are just using more chemicals that will need to be burnt off all the way to be safe.

Dan 

I agree with Dan about the cement board. I have a feeling that it's not gonna work because of whatever materials they use as binders and such. However, I'd be fine using the galvanized steel stuff as framing for the box itself. I like that steel studs are perfectly straight. What I would do would be to use the steel studs to create a frame, and then line the interior and exterior with a wood board and insulate the in between the studs. 

I agree with everyone else, I think that most cement board has treated wood involved in the process covered with cement.

not sure what the treated wood is treated with.

Thanks for all the insight. Glad I asked! How do you feel about framing it with 2x4s, covering it with plywood then wire lathe and sticking the stone to that? I just have a bunch of the stone left over so buying wood or metal and concrete board doesn't matter.

Thanks for all the insight. Glad I asked! How do you feel about framing it with 2x4s, covering it with plywood then wire lathe and sticking the stone to that? I just have a bunch of the stone left over so buying wood or metal and concrete board doesn't matter.
My first smokehouse was just that. 2X4's and sheets of plywood..Wife use to tell me my outhouse was smoking.. I even put a little quarter moon cutout above the door lol...

I used that thing for years until they kept eating all the jerky I would make in a day and now I have a 6'X10' smokehouse.

Built the same way wood siding and 2x4's

What you put on the outside I dont think makes a difference.

My next door neighbor did a fridge build and took out the inside and put in cement board and has smoked alot in the last 8yrs, no prob. but I would also say to contact the manufacture. 

He also did a good burn out of the fibours also with a propane torch before smoking to make sure and his like mine we can only get our temp up to 220 Max 

Good luck and let us know. 

A full smoker is a happy smoker

DS

Last edited:

Using cultured stone on the outside  would work fine.Dont try to use it inside around your heat source when it gets hot it breaks apart.There is some nice smokers on this forum that are made out of wood.Go to the search top left type in wood smoke house builds.

Dan

Brentex, cement board is primarily composed of Portland cement with some fiberglass fibers and binders, no wood is involved at all. As far as for using steel studs for the frame, first off they may not be galvanized as they will never be exposed to the elements, secondly even if they were galvanized, as long as temperatures didn't reach the melting point for zinc, the galvanization would not wear off, if you season your smokehouse before use, this will coat it to minimize any such leaching. And even then, the minimal amount of zinc that would possibly leach off would be much less than what is consumed in zinc vitamin supplements. Even if the galvanization is cadmium based (with temperature extremes needed to melt), you should not have any issues. Also I would imagine that you would be applying the cement board to the inside of the smoker to cover the studs, so that alone will protect the studs from any issues. As far as exterior finishes, nearly anything you do should not affect the inside of the smoke chamber, so if you have cultured stone you like or need to use, feel free to apply. To affirm my recommendations, I've been involved in smoking and meat curing with my family and elders for 30 plus years and have been working in construction and concrete for nearly 20 years.

I am also planning a smokehouse build. Any chance you would post a pic of the bar you have already built so we can see what the cultured stone looks like? I'm trying to decide on my design and I like that way this sounds. Not sure if it is anything I can incorporate but, we'll see. 

GALLERY]

Sure. , here's a few pictures. You can see my Cookshack Smokette next to the grill. I'd like to do the larger smokehouse for bacon and cold smoking.

Wow! I don't know where you live but I want to come over and hang out with you! That is amazing work, I can't wait to see how your smokehouse turns out.Good luck! By the by, I used cement board to line the bottom of my wood smoke house and haven't died yet.

Yea I'm coming over too lol. I am almost finished with mine and when I looked into it everything said hardibacker was safe but not durock.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky