smoke/fry turducken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

travelbilly

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
I'm planning to smoke a turducken for about utthree hours depending on the internal temp, and then finish it in a fryer (way out in the driveway). Main reason, nobody likes rubbery poultry skin, and that's always what I end up with. I figure this way we have smokey meat flavor and bark on all three birds. Seems that this will take away that danger zone concern as well. Opinions? comments? concerns??

Turduckens typically also have stuffing inside of them separating the birds as they rolled them up.  Things like pasta and dressing absorb smoke rapidly.  A little smoke goes a long way. Other than that, so long as you know that the IT need to be 165 degrees I think what you're doing should work.

Happy Thanksgiving. 

B

things didnt go all that well, very little smoke flavor remained, but there was some. my frier was new and had really poor assembly instrucctions so it took longer to put together than it should have, so the turkey was in the smoker too long. it was about 151 when I took it out. the frier also has a 15 min timer and shuts the gas off every 15 min. So the gas had been off a while because I didn't realize that was the case.

Also, I'm having alot of difficulty keeping the amps lit. this is the 2nd smoker I've used it in and always the same deal, it will not stay lot and I'm constantly having to open the smoke to relite and reposition it. I'm gonna have to get with them about it.... 

things didnt go all that well, very little smoke flavor remained, but there was some. my frier was new and had really poor assembly instrucctions so it took longer to put together than it should have, so the turkey was in the smoker too long. it was about 151 when I took it out. the frier also has a 15 min timer and shuts the gas off every 15 min. So the gas had been off a while because I didn't realize that was the case.

Also, I'm having alot of difficulty keeping the amps lit. this is the 2nd smoker I've used it in and always the same deal, it will not stay lot and I'm constantly having to open the smoke to relite and reposition it. I'm gonna have to get with them about it.... 
Dont panic.  Sometimes the pellets absorb humidity and have difficulty staying lit.  Most of us put them in the microwave on a paper plate for a few minutes.  This helps  dry them out. Also you want to check that you've got your smokers top vent open all the way and the chip hopper pulled out about and inch to give the amps ventilation to burn. 

Dang I really wanted to see that turducken .  Oh well.  This stuff happens.  Don't give up! 

Brian 

i'm gonna post a few pics also, I THINK it may be more than one thing givin me smoke issues

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky