Smoke-Flavored Dips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pomai

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
Anyone make or try some good smoke-flavored dips or spreads?

Our local Costco has been carrying this Haleiwa Smoked Seafood Medley for some time now...

haleiwaseafoodmedley1.jpg

As you can see on the label, this is Hale’iwa Smokehouse Seafood Medley. It’s made with Smoked Ahi (Tuna), Au (Marlin), Shutome (Swordfish) and Opah (Moonfish) in a mayonnaise and vegetable oil carrier. I’m not sure if the entire product is made in a food processor or if the smoked fish is first hand-chopped. There are some visible small pieces of fish in it. The consistency is similar to a loose Pâté with an easily workable spreading consistency, even while still at a cold refrigerator temperature . You can certainly taste that there’s smoked fish (such as my favorite, Marlin!) in it. It’s not at all “fishy”, but certainly savory.

All it says on the back label other than the list of ingredients are that it’s “Ideal as a dip, spread, stuffing or for use in recipes”. The last part is something they should have included a few of right on there, as I can see this gourmet product has lots of potential as a key element in some great pacific rim type of dishes.

I tried it as a spread on Milton’s Multi-Grain Crackers and Pita Chips, also from Costco. For me personally, this spread is much too strong in flavor with those particular “vessels”. Even the slightest amount of salt on the chips and crackers cause the spread to over-explode with flavor, becoming overkill on the palate. Some might like this, but for me I prefer dips and spreads a bit more suttle .

Still, in and of itself, this product is absolutely delicious. I’m thinking its smokey flavor would work well in a Maki Sushi Roll or perhaps as a layered element in a gourmet sandwich. Or simply spread inside a tortilla wrapper with some ‘Nalo Greens and diced Kamuela Tomatoes as a “Hawaiian-Mex” entree. The stuffed tomato idea on the label sounds interesting as well.
This 32 oz. tub costed $14.69, placing it on the pricey side as far as dips are concerned.

------------------------------------------------------

In Waikiki, a new pub that features 130 (yes, ONE HUNDRED THIRTY!) beers on TAP called The Yard House recently opened doors.

One of their popular appetizer (pupu) items is this Onion Ring Tower...

yardhouse_onionrings.jpg

Yard House Beer Battered Onion Ring Tower

It includes two dipping sauces: the one on the left a basic ranch, and the other a SMOKED Chipotle Dipping Sauce. That Smoked Chipotle sauce with the beer-battered sweet maui onion rings is a fantastic combo! Wash it down with a cold IPA and it's all good!

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

**Post Edit:
Although this post isn't a recipe, surely we'll follow up with posts that are. Thanks.

have not tried it, but would not be that hard to do.....lets see...the pacific northwest twist.....oh yea, that would use smoked salmon!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky