Smoke a Turkey Breast?

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by fishawn, Sep 14, 2008.

1. fishawn

fishawn Smoking Fanatic

I have a Turkey Breast......I usually inject them with a beer-butter injection & grill them......They are great......I have never smoked a turkey breast......What tips do y'all have?.....Should I do the beer-butter injection then smoke?.....Give me some ideas?

2. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

3. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Beer butter injection sounds pretty good to me. I usually do the whole bird and brine it. Injecting would work well tho.

4. fishawn

fishawn Smoking Fanatic

Is smoked Turkey "better" than grilled or baked? Any opinions?

5. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

My personal taste buds enjoy a smoked turkey vs. roasted or grilled.

6. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

In my opinion yes much better. The only thing that compares to smoked turkey is a deep fried turkey. I have the deep fryer and oil but still find myself smoking them more than anything else.

7. fishawn

fishawn Smoking Fanatic

Ok.....I will smoke it.....What temp & what wood compliments Turkey?

8. pineywoods

I do mine hot at about 325* because my family has to have crispy skin they think. If I wasn't worried about the skin I would smoke at 225* for better smoke. I have used hickory, cherry, and apple. My personal choice is straight apple but it is a light flavor.

9. fishawn

fishawn Smoking Fanatic

Ok.......I will smoker her up then......What temp & what wood compliment a Tureky?

10. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Great advice!
    If you can get some Pecan, its to die for!
    Smoke until 165* and let rest.

11. shooterrick

shooterrick Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have done several turkey breast and this is how I do em. Lots of compliments.

I pull skin back across breast and season with my rub. Then pull skin back over bird and lightly rub with olive oil. I inject the bird liberally with 1 cup apple juice mixed with 1 tbs my rub. Dust down outside and inside of bird with rub and smoke 275-300 with Pecan or Apple,till bird is 150 internal. Wrap in foil and smoke to 170-175. I know you are not suppose to need to go that high now but it has never been dry and is very tender. Let rest about 30-45 minutes before unwrapping and carving. Enjoy!