smf thanx day smorgasbord

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gypsyseagod

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 5, 2007
standing over the pit- kentucky
post your recipe here for a dish so we can all find it in 1 thread.
here's my cajun stuffing recipe
1 1lb bag stuffing or bread crumbs
1lb peeled & washed crawfish
1 lb smoked & crumbled fatty
1/8 cup crushed pecans
1 stalk celery
1/4 cup diced onion
4 cloves mashed garlic
1/2 cup white wine
1 can chix broth

whitewine & butter sautee the fatty & crawfish in a skillet
add the onion garlic & celery until translucent
add to stuffing w/ 1/2 chix broth & 1/2 water(per directions)
either stuff the bird or smoke in a pan for 45 mins to 1 hr.

Hmmm is this a stuffing thread?

Okay here's my quick and dirty stuffing for all things!

1 loaf of cornbread or a bag of cornbread stuffing cubes
5 stalks of celery diced
1 large onion diced
1 red pepper diced
8 to 10 large mushrooms diced
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cajun spice
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon Old Bay spice
1 quart turkey or chicken broth or stock
salt
pepper

If you make your own cornbread - slice a loaf of cornbread about 1/2 inch thick and cube it. Put cubes in the oven to dry them up about 300 for 10 minutes or until crispy. Pour stock over stuffing and mix in well

Melt 1/2 stick butter and put it in a big microwavable bowl with all the spices. mix in cornbread in and coat evenly. Add in veggies and mix well. Add about 1/2 stock to bread crumbs and mix. If it seems dry add a little more untill it's moist.

Cover with plastic wrap and nuke it until the veggies are tender but not mushy.

Optional: chopped cranberries, cranrasins, dried currents, chopped fried polutry innards, raisins, currents, walnuts, almonds, kernal corn, figs, diced sweet potato, crumbled bacon, chopped roasted chestnuts, chopped Italian sausage ...

Another stuffing recipe. I think it's originally from Better Homes and Gardens magazine.

Corn Bread and Sausage Stuffing

1 12- to 14- ounce cornbread mix, prepared according to package directions
1 pound sweet Italian sausage
1 tablespoon butter
2 large stalks celery, sliced
1 medium onion, minced
1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 egg
1/4 pound seedless grapes, sliced in half
3/4 cup water

Brown sausage, breaking it up into small pieces. Remove sausage to a large bowl. Add butter to the drippings in the skillet. SautÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] celery and onions; add bouillon, salt, and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender, then add to the bowl with the sausage. Crumble cornbread into large chunks into the sausage mixture. Stir in egg, grapes and water until well blended. Stuff mixture into turkey and cook turkey accordingly.

Sorry about this folks.....I'm sure it's not the healthiest thing to eat.

I made some of this last year, it was a big hit.
OK.....I have weird friends.
redface.gif

White Castle Stuffing

10 White Castle hamburgers, no pickles
1 1/2 tsp. ground sage
1 1/2 cups celery, diced
3/4 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
1 1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1/4 cup chicken broth

In a large mixing bowl, tear the burgers into pieces and add diced celery and seasonings. Toss and add chicken broth. Stuff cavity of turkey just before roasting. Recipe makes about 9 cups (enough for a 10 to 12 pound turkey) Note: Allow one (1) hamburger for each pound of turkey, which is the equivalent of 3/4 cup of stuffing per pound.

I did not stuff my bird, just made this in a pan by itself.

If you are looking for the best pumpkin pie recipe out there, go to this link.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...65/Pumpkin-Pie

This to me is the essence of pumpkin pie. And it is so easy to make. Only 25 minutes of baking time ensures that the crust won't burn.

My dad is the pumpkin pie king in our family. People have raved about his for years. Last year we had a pie-off and this pie beat him. In fact, 6 of the 7 people judging, picked mine over his. He foolishly demanded a rematch this year. hmph!

After you make your pies, throw together some Hot Brandy Sauce to drizzle over the pie. You will never go back to whipped cream again!

Out of respect to the cooking for engineers site, I linked to the pie recipe. But here is the Hot Brandy Sauce:

8 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 brandy (bourbon as an alternative is ok)
2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large egg

Melt butter over very low heat in a small saucepan.
Stir in the sugar, brandy, water, nutmeg and salt.
Cook over low heat until the mixture is well blended, stir often.
Whisk the egg in a seperate bowl until light and frothy
Add the egg to the liquor mixture and whisk vigorously (use an electric if necessary)
Return sauce to stove and cook over low-medium heat to bring to a simmer.
Cook for a minute or so to thicken

Serve at once, or refridgerate for up to 3 days. Warm in a microwave before topping pie. If the sauce seperates, add a little bit of warm water and whisk.

Texas Fudge
9x13x2 baking dish, greased
350 degree oven, 30 min. give or take
13 oz or 13 oz jar, diced hot peppers of your choice(Ortegas canned will work)
1 lb shredded cheese of your choice
6 well beaten eggs(whup the snot out of em)
mix peppers and cheese with, minced onion, bacon bits, chopped olives.
spread on bottom of baking dish, pour eggs all over it.
bake about 20-25 min,or untill eggs set up as you like, let cool 20 min or so, enjoy

This really IS good, adapt everything to your own taste, its not rocket science.
smile.gif

Tery, are you fudging on us? Honestly, it sounds like one of my favorite omelettes, which my wife calls "Greek Deli", all in affection of coarse...

Terry is right...that stuff is really good. I make it all the time. had only heard it called Jalapeno pie before but like the Texas Fudge title better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky